Green beans almondine is an elegant side dish that comes together in 20 minutes! Perfect for holiday dinners and entertaining, it’s also ideal for mid-week meals.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound French green beans, trimmed
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (zest + juice)
KITCHEN TIP: Get this recipe done quicker by multi-tasking. As the beans are blanching and cooling, make the almondine.
BLANCH THE GREEN BEANS
- Add water to a large pot. Heavily salt the water so it tastes like the ocean. Bring it to a boil. Add the green beans and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes until tender-crisp (al dente).
- Immediately transfer green beans to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- After the beans have cooled, drain off the water. Dry them between paper towels or with a lint-free kitchen towel.
PREP THE ALMONDINE
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced almonds. Sautée until lightly golden blonde.
- Add minced shallots, garlic and a pinch of salt to the skillet. Sautée the mixture for about 40 seconds. Remove pan from heat. Continue sautéing in residual heat until shallots and garlic are fragrant and tender. If needed, add a bit more olive oil. Transfer the almondine to a small bowl.
ASSEMBLE GREEN BEANS ALMONDINE
- Add butter to the skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter’s melted, add green beans to the skillet. Raise heat to medium. Sautée beans for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing frequently. Beans are done when heated through, tender yet crisp, with a few lightly-charred brown spots. Remove pan from heat.
- Season with flaky sea salt and pepper. Lightly toss the beans to distribute the spices.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the beans, as desired. Sprinkle the top with lemon zest. Garnish with almondine.
- MAKE-AHEAD GREEN BEANS ALMONDINE: Get a head start on assembling this side dish by blanching the green beans the day before. After the ice-water bath, dry the veggies well. Transfer to an air-tight container lined with a paper towel and refrigerate. Mince shallots and garlic in advance. Store in small zip-top bags and refrigerate. Early prep work will allow this dish to come together quickly!
- MORE TOPPING IDEAS FOR FRENCH GREEN BEANS: It’s easy to elevate this side dish with crunchy, flavorful toppings! Cook 4 pieces of thickly-sliced bacon until crisp. Crumble the bacon over the green beans. Toss to combine. For the holidays, switch things up with pomegranate arils and thinly-sliced mint. Or try a drizzle of tahini with toasted sesame seeds. Eating your veggies has never been more flavorful!
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Green Beans Almondine, French Green Beans, Almondine