Green popcorn slime is a snackable Halloween treat. This monster popcorn is covered in a layer of marshmallow slime dotted with spooky googly eyes. Perfect for parties and scary movie nights!
- 8 cups popped white popcorn*
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) package marshmallows, mini or regular
- Green gel food coloring, number of drops as desired
- 1 (0.88-oz) package candy eyeballs, about 3 tablespoons
*MICROWAVE POPCORN: In general, one 3.28-ounce bag microwave popcorn yields 7 to 8 cups of popped popcorn. Packages may claim it yields 9 cups, but not all kernels pop. Have 2 bags of popcorn at the ready in case you need some from a second bag.
RECIPE PREP: Pop the popcorn according to package directions. Transfer to a large serving bowl. With clean hands, sift through the popcorn to remove all un-popped kernels. Discard the hard kernels.
- In a large heat-safe batter bowl, melt brown sugar, butter and vanilla in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk well to combine. This can also be done in a saucepan on stovetop.
- Add marshmallows to the bowl. Microwave 1 minute on high. Stir until melted and smooth. If needed, microwave again.
- Drizzle drops of green food coloring over the mixture. Stir until color is evenly distributed throughout the marshmallow slime. Continue adding drops and stirring until you reach the desired shade of green.
- Pour green slime over popcorn. Gently fold it in with a spatula until all the popcorn is evenly coated. Sprinkle candy eyes over the top. Serve warm and enjoy!
HELPFUL TIP: To mix marshmallow slime into the popcorn more easily, instead of a spatula use your hands. But first, lightly grease your hands with butter, or spray them down with cooking spray.
HOW TO MAKE GREEN COLOR MORE INTENSE: Although you can use standard food coloring, it would take a lot of drops to deliver a monster green. Instead, use green gel food color or food paste. These will provide a deeper more vibrant green for the marshmallow slime. For a custom shade of monster green, combine a few drops of each! Another option: neon green food coloring.
HOW TO MAKE THIS A GORY RECIPE: Make the treats bloody with red candy melts. Lightly dribble melted red candy over the green slime popcorn. It adds an extra layer of spooky to this Halloween favorite.
CAN THIS RECIPE BE DOUBLED? This is not recommended. Especially if using the microwave. Two batches of marshmallows will not fit in one bowl. Instead, make 2 individual batches. And I highly recommend doing that! Consider how many persons 1 bag of microwave popcorn can feed. Make a decision based on that, and the number of ghouls and goblins waiting to eat.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snacks
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Popcorn Slime, Green Popcorn, Green Popcorn Slime, Green Slime Popcorn