This colorful grilled potato salad with cream fraiche dressing looks and tastes gourmet, but it’s surprisingly easy to make! Next month my daughter Brooke gets married and everyone wants to look their best for the big day. So at dinner time I’m lightening things up while still serving up plenty of scrumptious satisfying flavors! This yummy potato salad recipe is super versatile. For a lightened-up version drizzle just a tad bit of dressing over the top and place the remaining dressing in a cruet on the side. Or go all in “classic style” by folding that luscious cream fraiche dressing into the entire salad. Either way, this beautiful side dish is a real winner!
Potato Salad Ingredients
These are the simple ingredients for this fabulous grilled potato salad recipe: fingerling potatoes, virgin olive oil, sea salt, freshly-ground black pepper, dijon mustard, cream fraiche (look for a small container of this in the deli section of your local market), apple cider vinegar, and fresh sprigs of dill.
Best Potato Salad Recipe
Instructions for making potato salad: Begin by filling a large saucepan with cold water. Add enough salt to the water so it tastes like the ocean. Place the potatoes inside the pot and bring the water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until tender. Drain off the water and pat the potatoes dry. Once the they’re cool enough to handle, slice them in half length-wise and put them on a baking sheet. Brush the potatoes with olive oil, and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Grilled Potato Salad with Cream Fraiche Dressing
Preheat a grill over high heat. Place the potatoes cut-side down onto the grill. I like to place them in a slightly-slanted position so the grill marks look lovely. Grill just until the potatoes have light char-grilled marks across the flesh. Using a cast-iron grill on my gas stovetop this only takes about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. If you’re using an outdoor BBQ the grilling time may be different.
Creamy Dressing for Grilled Potato Salad
Now it’s time to prepare the delicious, creamy mustard dressing! In a medium bowl, add the cream fraiche, mustard and apple cider vinegar. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix again. If you’d like to cover the potato salad in the dressing, transfer your potatoes to a large serving bowl and fold in the dressing. Wait about 30 minutes before serving so the beautiful flavors have time to soak in.
Lightened-Up Potato Salad
If you’d like to serve a lightened-up version of this potato salad, stack the potatoes charred side up on a large serving dish. Lightly drizzle dressing over the top of the potatoes. Generously garnish your potato salad with fresh dill. Place the salad dressing carafe next to the serving platter so your family can add more dressing as desired. Serve this delightful dish at room temperature.
Homemade Potato Salad
Although I rarely share images of my family and friends here on the blog, today I’m making an exception. With Brooke and Darin’s September wedding almost here, my heart is overflowing with happiness! My husband and I feel incredibly blessed to be welcoming a new member to our family. As I mentioned earlier, this milestone event has me sharing a few lightened-up recipes here on the blog like this homemade potato salad, last week’s scrumptious Chinese chicken salad, and healthy and delicious yogurt fruit ice pops. Easy on the waistline while satisfying the taste buds!
Kitchen Tools for Grilled Potato Salad Recipe
This beautiful grilled potato salad recipe is tasty, satisfying and super easy to make. Wow your family and guests with this colorful gourmet-looking dish. Serve completely coated in scrumptious dressing, or choose a lightened-up version of this recipe with cream fraiche dressing lightly drizzled across the top.
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes, rinsed and lightly scrubbed
- 2–1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly-cracked black pepper
- Optional: a few gherkin pickles, minced
CREAMY MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1 8-ounce container cream fraiche
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill, lightly chopped
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- In a large pot of heavily-salted water, boil the fingerling potatoes until tender. Drain and pat dry.
- Preheat a cast-iron grill on your stovetop. On a cutting board, slice potatoes in half length-wise. Transfer to a large baking tray. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Turn up the heat on the grill to high. Grill the potatoes flat side down until light char-marks are visible on the flesh. Transfer the potatoes to a large serving bowl and put it aside.
- Create the mustard dressing: In a medium mixing bowl, add the cream fraiche, dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you’d like to serve your potato salad classic style, slice the grilled potato halves into thirds. Fold the dressing and chopped fresh dill into the potatoes so they’re well coated. If you’d like, add in some chopped gherkin pickles to punch up the taste! Allow 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together and soak in. Just before serving, garnish with fresh dill and more salt and pepper.
- If serving a lightened-up version of this recipe, neatly stack the potatoes onto a serving platter grilled side up sprinkling chopped dill and salt and pepper in between the layers. Lightly drizzle the top of the salad with creamy dressing. Place the remaining dressing in a carafe beside the dish so family and friends can add on more as desired. Generously garnish the top and sides of your grilled potato salad with sprigs of fresh dill. Grind more black pepper on top, and sprinkle with more salt.
- Serve this tasty dish at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Party, Potluck
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American, French
Keywords: grilled potato salad, summer potato salad, potato salad recipe
GRILLED POTATO SALAD RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious potato salad recipe for later! Pin it to Pinterest right now.
ESSENTIAL SUMMER SALAD RECIPES
Hands down, this scrumptious LOADED BAKED POTATO SALAD is one of my most-asked-for recipes! It’s perfect for potlucks, picnics and backyard BBQs.
BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON boasts an easy yummy homemade dressing. There’s just so much to love about this beautiful, healthy delicious recipe!
Celebrate warm-weather months with this gorgeous TROPICAL FRUIT SALAD with agave lime dressing!
COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD is a dish the whole family will enjoy! Transition from summer to fall with this easy delicious recipe!
This flavor-packed CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD is one of my family’s favorite recipes! The secret lies in the easy, authentic homemade Asian dressing. This recipe’s a keeper!
CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD is a picnic favorite! Grab this deli-style recipe right now!
GRILLED POTATO SALAD WITH CREAM FRAICHE DRESSING > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you have a favorite potato salad recipe that you turn to again and again? What do you think about this scrumptious grilled potato salad recipe? Can you almost taste the heavenly cream fraiche dressing? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Join the conversation in the comments below.