These Halloween muddy buddies are spooktacular! This 15-minute recipe can be assembled 2 ways: Keep the puppy chow a classic white, or do a 50/50 tuxedo Halloween Chex mix with grated chocolate and Oreo cookies.
CLASSIC HALLOWEEN MUDDY BUDDIES
- 9 cups Rice Chex or Corn Chex cereal
- 2 cups dark chocolate morsels, divided
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar) – or 1 cup if making the Tuxedo Chex Mix option!
- Edible candy eyeballs
OPTIONAL ITEMS FOR TUXEDO CHEX MIX
- 1 4-ounce bar baking chocolate, finely grated (or 1 cup American Heritage Chocolate)
- 10 Oreo cookies, quartered
- An all-white Chex mix with powdered sugar, chocolate morsels and candy eyes. It’s wickedly good!
- TUXEDO HALLOWEEN CHEX MIX: A more prominent black/white snack. It features half the mix with finely-grated chocolate and Oreos. Visually stunning, it’s the perfect treat to satisfy deep chocolate cravings.
- Measure out the cereal. Add it to a large wide bowl. Set it aside.
- Add butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir with a vampire spatula. Microwave for 30 to 60 seconds more, or until the mixture can be stirred smooth. Drizzle vanilla over the mixture. Stir until incorporated.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal. With a spatula, gently fold and stir it in. All pieces should be evenly coated. Divide coated cereal between 2 zip-top bags (gallon size).
- If making tuxedo snack mix, add powdered sugar to just one of the two bags. Add finely-grated chocolate to the second bag. Gently shake the bags until all pieces are evenly coated. Over the sink, transfer coated pieces to a colander. Shake off excess powder.
- For the bottom layer, add half the mix to a wide serving bowl. For a tuxedo look, keep chocolate-coated pieces and powdered-sugar pieces on separate sides of the bowl. Add chopped Oreos. Sprinkle with dark chocolate morsels and candy eyeballs. Add remaining mix to the bowl. Sprinkle the top with more chocolate morsels and spooky candy eyes. For an elegant tuxedo snack mix, add chopped Oreos straight down the middle.
HELPFUL INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
- Sun Butter (natural sunflower butter) and Biscoff Cookie Butter spread are delicious swaps! With the closest taste and texture to peanut butter,
- CHEX CEREAL: Kellogg’s Crispix cereal.
- BUTTER: Margarine.
- DARK CHOCOLATE MORSELS: Semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips.
- GRATED CHOCOLATE: Brownie mix.
- OREO COOKIES: Chocolate wafers.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Halloween Muddy Buddies, Halloween Chex Mix, Halloween Snack Mix