Hibiscus Tea is a cool refreshing summer beverage! Here in Mexico, this thirst-quenching agua fresca is known as Agua de Jamaica.
about this iced tea beverage
This delicious drink is made with dried hibiscus flowers. Today I’ll show you how to make an authentic version of Hibiscus Tea Starbucks. This healthy iced tea is the perfect beverage to serve and enjoy on hot-weather days.
In Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, we enjoy this ice-cold tropical drink at eateries, street taco stands, with friends at home, and at the beach. It’s a great alternative to soda pop. If desired, it can be made as a sparkling spritzer!
Hibiscus tea is often served with a small dish of granulated sugar or honey so the beverage can be sweetened as desired. Some prefer the taste of a strongly-brewed tea, while others prefer a lighter, sweeter concentration.
- Cold water (purified/bottled)
- Dried hibiscus flowers
- Granulated sugar
- Ice cubes
- OPTIONAL: Fresh mint and/or limes for garnishing
order hibiscus flowers online
For home delivery, order dried hibiscus flowers online through the Amazon affiliate link below. It’s a quick easy way to get this healthy product!
HOW TO MAKE HIBISCUS TEA CONCENTRATE
Agua de Jamaica is first prepared as a concentrated mixture. Then just before serving, cold water and ice are added. It’s the perfect make-ahead beverage for parties, potlucks and family gatherings.
- STEP 1: Briefly rinse dried hibiscus flowers in a colander under cold running water. This will remove any dust or debris.
- STEP 2: Add flowers and purified water to a medium pot. Over high heat, bring the water to boil. Cover pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- STEP 3: Stir in the granulated sugar until dissolved. Let the tea come to room temperature.
- STEP 4: Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer into a beverage container. Discard the flowers. Store hibiscus tea concentrate in the fridge until ready to use.
KITCHEN SMARTS: Put on an apron or an old shirt before prepping this colorful recipe. Hibiscus flowers have a deep red tint that can stain fabrics. Protect porous countertops and surfaces. Don’t use wooden utensils.
HOW TO SERVE AGUA DE JAMAICA
When ready to enjoy this beverage, just dilute the hibiscus tea concentrate. It’s super easy. Here’s how.
- In a beverage pitcher or glass carafe, add cold purified water and granulated sugar to taste. Mix to combine.
- Add ice to one or more glasses. Pour hibiscus tea over the ice.
- Garnish servings with a sprig of fresh mint or a slice of lime.
recipe faq & EXPERT TIPS
You can enjoy this agua fresca at Starbucks. But a batch of home-brewed hibiscus sweet tea will always deliver a better flavor experience. Unlike the Starbucks version, at home you can adjust this drink to taste!
In the States, look for this product in the Hispanic aisle of large supermarkets. You can also find it at specialty Mexican markets.
In Mexico, Flor de Jamaica (hibiscus flower) is a common ingredient sold in bulk. It’s often packaged in clear cellophane bags. At the grocery store look for it in the produce section near the fruits and veggies.
Making Agua de Jamaica a sparkling drink is easy peasy! When you’re ready to serve the beverage, dilute the hibiscus tea concentrate with sparkling water. Mix briefly with a long spoon or stir stick.
Starbucks has 2 types of hibiscus iced tea. The blend for their Hibiscus Tea Starbucks includes water, dried hibiscus flowers, lemongrass, mango, rose hips, passion fruit, and ice.
Beverage ingredients include: water, sugar, white grape juice concentrate, natural flavor, green coffee extract, citric acid, erythritol, vitamin C, Reb A (steviol glycoside), frozen dried blackberries, ice.
Listen to how this agua fresca is pronounced in Mexico! Here’s a link to SpanishDict.com: ah-gwah deh hah-may-kah.
Agua de Jamaica contains Vitamin C and is known for lowering blood pressure. Read about the study on Hibiscus Tea on the USDA site.
MORE SUMMER DRINK RECIPES
If you love hibiscus sweet tea, you’ll also enjoy these refreshing summer drink recipes! Each beverage is family friendly, and quick and easy to make.
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Watermelon Berry Smoothie
- Maple Whipped Coffee
- Iced Vanilla Latte
- Watermelon Slushie
- Pineapple Fruit Punch
- Baby Shower Punch
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Friends and family say this is the best Agua de Jamaica recipe! They like it better than the hibiscus tea at Starbucks. If you agree, give this easy recipe a 5-star rating in the comments. Share it with a friend.Print
Hibiscus sweet tea is a cool, refreshing summer drink. In Mexico this agua fresca is called Agua de Jamaica. It’s the ideal beverage for parties, family gatherings and potlucks. Just prep the concentrate in advance, then dilute with cold water before serving.
- 4 cups water (purified)
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers, firmly-packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups cold water (purified)
- Granulated sugar (or honey), to taste
- Ice cubes
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES: Sprigs of fresh mint and slices of lime
MAKE HIBISCUS TEA CONCENTRATE
RECIPE PREP: Slip on an apron or an old shirt to avoid staining. Have a few paper towels handy. The hibiscus flowers have a deep-pink color that will stain fabrics and porous surfaces.
- Briefly rinse dried hibiscus flowers in a colander under cold running water. This will remove any dust or debris.
- Add flowers and purified water to a medium pot. Bring the water to boil. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Stir in the granulated sugar until dissolved. Let the tea come to room temperature (about 45 minutes).
- Working in the kitchen sink, strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer into a beverage container. Discard the flowers. Store hibiscus tea concentrate in the fridge until ready to use.
HOW TO SERVE AGUA DE JAMAICA
- Add cold water to the hibiscus concentrate and mix well. Start with 3 cups of water and see if you like the tea at that strength. I prefer diluting the concentrate with 4 cups of water.
- If more sweetness is desired, stir in granulated sugar or honey.
- Add ice cubes to tall glasses. Pour the sweet tea over the ice. If desired, garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and/or slices of lime.
WHERE TO FIND DRIED HIBISCUS FLOWERS IN THE USA: In the States, look for this product in the Hispanic aisle of large supermarkets. You can also find it at specialty Mexican markets.
WHERE TO FIND DRIED HIBISCUS FLOWERS IN MEXICO: In Mexico, Flor de Jamaica (hibiscus flower) is a common ingredient sold in bulk. It’s often packaged in clear cellophane bags. At the grocery store look for it in the produce section near the fruits and veggies.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TEA A SPARKLING BEVERAGE: Making Agua de Jamaica a sparkling drink is easy peasy! When you’re ready to serve the beverage, dilute the hibiscus tea concentrate with sparkling water. Mix briefly with a long spoon or stir stick.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cooling Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Hibiscus Tea, Agua de Jamaica, Agua Fresca
hibiscus tea > join the conversation
What is your favorite beverage on a hot summer day? Have you tried the hibiscus tea at Starbucks? Did you know how easy it was to make it at home? Share your thoughts on this refreshing beverage in the comments!