Hibiscus sweet tea is a cool, refreshing summer drink. In Mexico this agua fresca is called Agua de Jamaica. It’s the ideal beverage for parties, family gatherings and potlucks. Just prep the concentrate in advance, then dilute with cold water before serving.
- 4 cups water (purified)
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers, firmly-packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups cold water (purified)
- Granulated sugar (or honey), to taste
- Ice cubes
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES: Sprigs of fresh mint and slices of lime
MAKE HIBISCUS TEA CONCENTRATE
RECIPE PREP: Slip on an apron or an old shirt to avoid staining. Have a few paper towels handy. The hibiscus flowers have a deep-pink color that will stain fabrics and porous surfaces.
- Briefly rinse dried hibiscus flowers in a colander under cold running water. This will remove any dust or debris.
- Add flowers and purified water to a medium pot. Bring the water to boil. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Stir in the granulated sugar until dissolved. Let the tea come to room temperature (about 45 minutes).
- Working in the kitchen sink, strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer into a beverage container. Discard the flowers. Store hibiscus tea concentrate in the fridge until ready to use.
HOW TO SERVE AGUA DE JAMAICA
- Add cold water to the hibiscus concentrate and mix well. Start with 3 cups of water and see if you like the tea at that strength. I prefer diluting the concentrate with 4 cups of water.
- If more sweetness is desired, stir in granulated sugar or honey.
- Add ice cubes to tall glasses. Pour the sweet tea over the ice. If desired, garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and/or slices of lime.
WHERE TO FIND DRIED HIBISCUS FLOWERS IN THE USA: In the States, look for this product in the Hispanic aisle of large supermarkets. You can also find it at specialty Mexican markets.
WHERE TO FIND DRIED HIBISCUS FLOWERS IN MEXICO: In Mexico, Flor de Jamaica (hibiscus flower) is a common ingredient sold in bulk. It’s often packaged in clear cellophane bags. At the grocery store look for it in the produce section near the fruits and veggies.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TEA A SPARKLING BEVERAGE: Making Agua de Jamaica a sparkling drink is easy peasy! When you’re ready to serve the beverage, dilute the hibiscus tea concentrate with sparkling water. Mix briefly with a long spoon or stir stick.
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Hibiscus Tea, Agua de Jamaica, Agua Fresca