A good homemade alfredo sauce is a staple Italian recipe everyone should have in their kitchen arsenal! Today I’m sharing a quick, easy fail-safe recipe for alfredo sauce with cream cheese. Its rich creamy texture is super scrumptious!
ABOUT HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE
The best homemade alfredo sauce is creamy, rich, savory and memorable. It’s often enjoyed with artisan egg noodles, specifically in the popular dish fettuccini alfredo. For a quick, interesting read on its origin, see this article by the HuffPost.
INGREDIENTS FOR ALFREDO SAUCE WITH CREAM CHEESE
These are the ingredients for making homemade alfredo:
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese
- Fresh garlic
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Grated Romano cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Optional Garnish: Freshly-shaved Parmesan
- Recommended: Fettuccini noodles
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE
Here’s how to make homemade alfredo sauce, step by step:
- Multi-task: Get ready to cook the pasta by boiling heavily-salted water in a large pot.
- On a different burner, over medium heat: add butter, heavy cream and cream cheese to a wide saucepan.
- Lightly whisk until butter has completely melted. Adjust the heat to medium/low.
- Continue to whisk as the cream cheese melts.
BEST ALFREDO SAUCE
When your sauce is whisked together it will look like the image above. At this point, you’re halfway done making homemade alfredo sauce! But remember, you’re also getting ready to prepare fettuccini noodles to enjoy with your Italian cream sauce.
- Continue multi-tasking: keep an eye on the water in your pasta pot.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the pasta and cook it al dente.
BEST ALFREDO SAUCE RECIPE
What makes this the best alfredo sauce recipe? Not only is it scrumptious, it comes together quickly and easily! Perfect for the home cook with a busy lifestyle.
- As the fettuccini is boiling in its pot, we’ll return our focus to the skillet with the cream cheese alfredo.
- Add in the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Whisk again until combined.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese.
- Whisk until the cheeses are fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Look at how creamy and delicious this looks!
EASY HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE
And now the final steps for making homemade alfredo sauce:
- Add the chopped parsley
- Lightly whisk again.
CREAM CHEESE ALFREDO
- Your homemade alfredo sauce is done!
- After the pasta is boiled al dente, drain the noodles very well. Unwanted drips of pasta water can easily ruin your delicious homemade alfredo sauce!
- With tongs, transfer noodles on top of alfredo in the saucepan.
DINNER IS SERVED: HOMEMADE ALFREDO
- Gently mix noodles and sauce together.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped parsely and freshly-shaved Parmesan.
- Your fettuccini alfredo is ready to be served!
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE ALFREDO?
It takes only 15 minutes to make cream cheese alfredo with fettuccini noodles!
CAN HOMEMADE ALFREDO BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
- Homemade alfredo can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.
- Rewarm on the stovetop.
- This quick easy meal is perfect for potlucks and large family gatherings.
WHAT NOODLES DO YOU USE FOR ALFREDO?
- Any wide egg noodles
MORE WAYS TO USE HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE
In addition to noodles, there are more ways to enjoy your homemade alfredo sauce:
- Add chicken to fettuccini alfredo
- In casseroles, swap out cheese or sour cream for alfredo sauce
- Enjoy steamed broccoli with alfredo
- Mix sauteed mushrooms in with the alfredo sauce
- Try alfredo sauce as a pizza sauce beneath veggies and meats
- Use alfredo sauce as a dip for bread, pretzels, veggies and crackers
- In meatballs, replace half the tomato sauce with alfredo sauce
- Drizzle alfredo sauce and capers over fish
- Upgrade scalloped potatoes with homemade alfredo sauce.
- Make lasagna with alfredo sauce
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR CREAM CHEESE ALFREDO
These are the recommended kitchen tools for making cream cheese alfredo with fettuccini noodles.
This homemade alfredo sauce with cream cheese is absolutely delicious! Delivering the perfect consistency, it’s creamy, rich and delightfully comforting. If you’ve been searching for the best alfredo sauce recipe, this is it!
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, pressed or finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/3 cup Romano cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Optional garnishes: chopped parsley, shaved Parmesan cheese, freshly-ground black pepper
- Suggested pasta: one 12-ounce package of fettuccini noodles
- In a medium or large saucepan, whisk together the butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese over medium heat.
- Once the sauce is smooth and thick, add in the garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the two types of cheeses: Parmesan and Reggio. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add in one tablespoon of chopped parsley. Lightly whisk again.
- Your homemade alfredo sauce is ready to enjoy with your favorite pasta. Garnish as desired. Enjoy!
This homemade alfredo sauce recipe is enough to cover one 12-ounce package of fettuccine noodles.
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Potluck
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: homemade alfredo sauce, homemade alfredo, best alfredo sauce, alfredo sauce with cream cheese, fettuccini alfredo, best alfredo sauce recipe
HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this recipe for alfredo sauce with cream cheese. PIN IT NOW!
DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU’LL WANT TO MAKE ASAP
If you loved this homemade alfredo sauce, you’ll definitely want to try these other scrumptious recipes!
JALAPENO POPPER MAC AND CHEESE
BEST PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE
HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you enjoy a good homemade alfredo sauce? What do you think about this alfredo sauce with cream cheese? Join the conversation in the comments below!