Homemade corn tortillas are easy to make with this authentic Mexican recipe. All you need are 3 ingredients. They’re so fresh! Pair them with your favorite Mexican meals.
- 1 1/2 cups MASECA masa harina
- 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, as desired
- 1 cup warm water (plus extra, if needed)
PREP CORN TORILLA DOUGH
- In a medium bowl, combine masa harina, salt, and water. With clean hands, mix until a dough forms. Knead it inside the bowl until it’s soft, smooth, moist and thick. Like the consistency of Play-Doh. Tear off a piece of dough and squeeze it. If cracks appear it needs more water. Moisten your hands with water. Knead the moisture into the dough. Form it into a large ball.
- Cover ball of dough with a damp, lint-free kitchen towel. Let masa rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide ball of dough into 12 pieces. Between the palms of your hands, roll them into spheres the size of golf balls. Transfer to a plate. Cover with a damp towel to keep dough from drying out.
HOW TO COOK CORN TORTILLAS
RECIPE PREP: Make liners for the press. Cut out 8 squares of parchment paper slightly larger than the press, or 2 squares from a zip-top freezer bag. Pull out a tortilla warmer, or line a basket with a clean, dry kitchen towel.
- Preheat comal or griddle over medium heat. Splash a few drops of water over the surface. If the water sizzles, it’s ready to go. Open the tortilla press. Place a square liner on the bottom plate. Put a ball of masa in the center of the plate. With your fingertips, slightly flatten it out into a disk.
- Cover disk of masa with a liner. Lower top plate of the press. Fold the handle down. Apply even pressure to flatten the dough. Open the press. Peel off top liner. Keep it for reuse. The flattened tortilla should be 5 to 6 inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick. Flip tortilla onto the palm of your hand, with half of it hanging down. Peel off the bottom liner. Keep it for reuse.
- With the raw tortilla draped over your palm, hold it directly over the comal. Place one edge of the tortilla down first. In one swift gentle motion, slide your hand out and up from under it. The tortilla should be in the center of the griddle.
- Cook 30 seconds on each side, flipping 3 to 4 times. With your fingertips or a spatula, lightly press around the edges to encourage pockets of air to form in the middle. Homemade corn tortillas slightly blister and puff up in the middle. Immediately transfer to a tortilla warmer.
HOW TO FLATTEN TORTILLAS WITHOUT A PRESS: Flatten the balls of dough with a rolling pin, or the back of a small heavy skillet. To make the tortillas round, use a large biscuit cutter or a small plastic bowl with a very thin edge to cut them out.
HOW TO KEEP TORTILLAS WARM: Store cooked tortillas in an insulated container like a tortilla warmer, or in a basket or bowl lined with a kitchen towel.
HOW TO STORE FRESH TORTILLAS: Once tortillas are cool, transfer to a zip-top bag with the air pressed out. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
HOW TO REHEAT CORN TORTILLAS 3 WAYS: 1. Warm corn tortillas on a comal (hot cast-iron skillet). 2. Wrap a stack of corn tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. 3. Wrap 4 to 6 tortillas in damp paper towels. Microwave 30 to 45 seconds, or until heated through. 4. Rewarm on gas stovetop over a low flame. After 15 to 20 seconds, flip them over.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Homemade Corn Tortillas, Corn Tortilla Recipe