This homemade Sausage and egg McMuffin recipe is incredibly satisfying! Enjoy the savory flavors and textures of McDonald’s iconic breakfast sandwich!
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar OR 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Also needed: Vegetable oil for greasing the pan
- 6 English muffins, sliced in half
- 6 large eggs
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- Water – for steaming eggs
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Add meat and spices to a medium bowl. Mix with clean hands or a fork. Form the meat into 6 sausage patties that are slightly larger than an English muffin. The sausage patties will shrink during cooking.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the center and swish the pan around to distribute it. Add 3-4 sausage patties. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip the patties over. Continue cooking until both sides are brown and the pork is cooked through. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
MUFFINS AND CHEESE
- While the sausage patties are cooking, slice 6 English muffins in half. Transfer the bread halves to a baking tray. Toast English muffins in the oven as desired. Add slices of cheese on the bottom half of the muffins.
- Return the tray to the oven briefly, just until the cheese has melted.
PERFECT FRIED EGGS
- Crack the eggs into small ramekins. It’s important to have the eggs ready to go so that they can enter the rings about the same time!
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil or butter in a large frying pan. Spray egg rings with oil. Place greased rings flat against the bottom of the pan. Work quickly. Add a cracked egg into each ring. With a fork, burst the yolks so the eggs can cook evenly.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of water around each egg ring. Immediately cover the pan with a lid. Allow eggs to steam for about 2 minutes, or until desired doneness.
ASSEMBLE BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
- Remove English muffins with melted cheese from the oven.
- Place a sausage patty over each slice of cheese. Add a round fried egg over each piece of meat. Top each sandwich with a muffin lid.
BREAKFAST SANDWICH RECIPE TIPS
- HOW MANY SAUSAGE PATTIES FOR ONE POUND OF MEAT? This recipe calls for thinner patties similar to the McDonald’s Sausage Egg McMuffin. One pound of meat is enough for 6 of these sausage patties. If you prefer thicker portions, this recipe will make 4-5 servings.
- SUBSTITUTES FOR GROUND PORK: Mix things up! Try ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey.
- SUBSTITUTES FOR BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTIES: Canadian bacon, or thick-sliced bacon cooked until crisp.
- BEST CHEESE FOR THIS RECIPE: McDonald’s Sausage Egg McMuffin has processed cheese which contains a lot of fillers. For a healthier recipe, use slices of 100% cheddar cheese.
- HOW TO MAKE SAUSAGE EGG MCMUFFINS HEALTHIER: Use lean ground meat for the sausage patties. Use whole-wheat English muffins. If desired, skip the bread and make this breakfast sandwich a lettuce wrap!
- WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD OF EGG RINGS? Repurpose a mason jar ring from a quart-sized container, or use an extra-large biscuit cutter. You can also recycle a tuna can by cutting off both ends and using the body of the can as an egg ring.
- CAN BREAKFAST SANDWICHES BE FROZEN? Although the sausage patties can be prepared in advance and frozen, the eggs will develop a rubbery texture in the freezer. This make-ahead recipe is best when stored in the refrigerator. Use within 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH A SAUAGE AND EGG MCMUFFIN? Serve breakfast sandwiches with hash browns and fruit. Good beverages include juice, milk, or coffee.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sausage Egg McMuffin, Breakfast Sandwich, McDonald's Sausage and Egg McMuffin recipe