This is the best Jiffy cornbread recipe! We’ve taken an average baking mix and bumped up the flavor with rich tasty ingredients like sour cream and butter. The result is a bread that’s moist, buttery and extra special.
If you have some boxes of corn muffin mix in your pantry right now, it’s time to pull them out. I’ll show you how to make Jiffy cornbread better with a few recipe tweaks that have been used and trusted by home cooks everywhere!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
For Americans, Jiffy is an iconic brand that’s been around for several generations. It’s a pantry staple that helps get dinner on the table faster.
However, compared to homemade cornbread, Jiffy prepared according the package directions is dry, bland and very crumbly. But with a little recipe magic, it’s easily transformed into a side that rivals the best southern cornbread recipes. Yes, you heard me right!
- GO FROM LACKLUSTER TO GLORIOUS: These simple Jiffy cornbread hacks turn a lackluster baking mix into a delicious buttery cornbread with the perfect crumb. The best part? It’s still quick and easy to make.
- ELIMINATE FOOD WASTE: Going the route of halfway to homemade eliminates food waste. How often have you purchased a box of corn meal just to make a few batches of cornbread and the leftover product goes to waste? In my household, this has happened too many times to count!
- COOKING WITH KIDS: This is a great recipe to make with very young children. Pre-measured dry ingredients in the boxed mix means there’s no chance of mis-measuring baking powder, salt, and flour.
- KITCHEN HELP: Holiday meal prep can often be hectic. With this simple recipe, older children can help out in the kitchen. They can assemble this Jiffy cornbread on their own with confidence. Less time hustling in the kitchen means more quality time to spend with the family.
- VERSATILE SIDE: Cornbread compliments a variety of dishes. Enjoy it with Jambalaya, Southern Baked Mac and Cheese, New Orleans Red Beans and Rice, or Homemade Hamburger Helper.
JIFFY CORNBREAD INGREDIENTS
Make Jiffy cornbread better with 5 common refrigerator and pantry items.
These are the ingredients you’ll need.
- Large eggs
- Salted butter
- Sour cream
- Granulated sugar
- Jiffy corn muffin mix
EXPERT TIP: If you only have 1 box Jiffy on hand, you can still make this cornbread recipe! Cut ingredients in half. Use an 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until top is golden and the middle is cooked through.
- WHY ARE EGGS IMPORTANT IN THIS RECIPE? Eggs contain water, fat and protein. They help make bread rich, tender and moist. They also give this Jiffy cornbread a higher lift. But don’t increase the egg count, or you’ll end up with an eggy tart! For lighter crumbly cornbread, use fewer eggs.
- WHY USE SOUR CREAM FOR CORNBREAD? It’s an easy way to add moisture to cornbread recipes without thinning out the batter. Because this ingredient is high in fat and acidity, it adds creaminess, controls browning, and activates the baking soda (rising agent) for a taller bread.
- WHY USE SUGAR IN THIS RECIPE? It’s not here to make this recipe sweet. Instead, it offsets the tangy flavor of the sour cream. If desired, you can cut back 1/2 tablespoon sugar and the taste will still be fine. For a sweeter cornbread add an additional tablespoon of sugar, or use this homemade cornbread recipe.
- WHY NO MILK IN THIS RECIPE? When assembling Jiffy cornbread using the recipe straight off the box, you need milk. However, in our jazzed-up version, the eggs, melted butter and sour cream provide all the moisture this recipe needs. Using milk would thin out the batter!
- CAN I USE UNSALTED BUTTER? If that’s all you have on hand, use that! Just add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to the cornbread batter.
- CAN I SUBSTITUTE OIL FOR BUTTER? Absolutely! But between these two ingredients, butter tastes better.
OPTIONAL ADD-INS FOR CORNBREAD
Want to tweak this Jiffy cornbread even more? It’s easy to make this recipe spicy or savory. Here are 5 delicious add-ins the whole family will enjoy.
- Diced jalapenos
- Shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Chopped crispy bacon and sautéd onion
- Fresh kernels of corn (or canned corn, drained) with fresh basil
- Fire-roasted chiles and shredded cheddar cheese
SOUTHERN FOOD TRADITIONS: Cornbread has a very interesting history. Read about North vs South: The Battle of Cornbread.
JIFFY CORNBREAD DIRECTIONS
RECIPE PREP: Grease baking pan(s) with butter. Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
Here’s how to make Jiffy cornbread moist:
- STEP 1: Crack eggs into a large batter bowl. Whisk well.
- STEP 2: Add sour cream, melted butter and sugar. Mix until fully combined.
- STEP 3: Add Jiffy corn muffin mix to the bowl. Stir until combined, but don’t over-mix. The batter will be slightly lumpy, and that’s okay!
- STEP 4: Transfer batter to prepared baking pan(s).
HOW TO BAKE CORNBREAD: In a convection oven, bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden and the center is cooked through. In a conventional oven, bake 50 to 55 minutes. After the first 15 to 25 minutes of baking, or once a crust has formed on the top, tent baking dish with foil to prevent over-browning.
BEST PAN SIZES FOR THIS RECIPE: For cornbread with a nice tall height, use an 8 x 8-inch pan or a 9 x 9-inch pan. For shorter pieces, or to stretch this recipe to achieve more servings, use a 9 x 13-inch baker. For muffins, use a 12-well muffin pan.
I WANT WHAT SHE HAS
Beautiful cooking tools bring so much happiness to the kitchen! They make meal prep a joyful experience.
Did you see something here that you’d like to own? Click the affiliate links to purchase the items on Amazon.
- USA SQUARE CAKE PAN
- GLASS BATTER BOWL
- RUBBER SPATULA
- ANOLON RAMEKINS
- GLASS HONEY JAR
- RECIPE BOX – with cards
JIFFY CORNBREAD WITH SOUR CREAM > RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Friends and family say this is the best Jiffy cornbread recipe. Made with butter and sour cream it’s moist, tender and delicious! If you agree, give this easy recipe a 5-star rating in the comments.Print
This buttery Jiffy cornbread is extra special! Made with sour cream, it’s moist and tender with the perfect crumb. Enjoy it for the holidays and all year round. Add it to your recipe arsenal!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
Grease baking pan(s) with butter. Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Crack eggs into a large batter bowl. Whisk well.
- Add sour cream, melted butter and sugar. Mix until fully combined.
- Add Jiffy corn muffin mix to the bowl. Stir until combined, but don’t over-mix. The batter will be slightly lumpy, and that’s okay!
- Transfer batter to prepared baking pan(s).
- In a convection oven, bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden and the center’s cooked through. For a conventional oven, bake 50 to 55 minutes. After the first 15 to 25 minutes of baking time, or once a crust has firmly formed on the top, tent the baking dish with foil to prevent over-browning.
BEST PAN SIZES FOR THIS RECIPE: For cornbread with a nice tall height, use an 8 x 8-inch baker. For shorter pieces, or to stretch this recipe to achieve more servings, use a 9 x 13-inch baker. If making muffins, use a 12-well muffin pan.
EXPERT TIP: If you only have 1 box of Jiffy on hand, you can still make this cornbread recipe. Just cut the ingredients in half, and use an 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden and the middle is cooked through.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Southern, American
Keywords: Jiffy Cornbread
JIFFY CORNBREAD > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you love the idea of making Jiffy cornbread with sour cream? What entrees do you serve with your cornbread? Share your thoughts below!