Irresistible lemon curd cookies are classic summer treats! These buttery shortbread cookies boast bright and luscious tangy centers. Prep this easy recipe in 15 minutes, chill the cookies then bake.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup lemon curd, homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
RECIPE PREP: Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper or reusable silicone mats. Set them aside.
- Add softened butter and granulated sugar the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until the buttery mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in the salt. Gradually and slowly add in the flour. Stop mixer as needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix just until the dough comes together into a ball around the paddle attachment.
- With a (1-tablespoon) metal scoop, portion dough into balls. Roll them between the palms of your hands until smooth and round. Place the balls on the prepared trays at least 2-inches apart. Gently press down on each ball to flatten the surface a bit. With the back of a spoon or your thumb, press 1/2-inch-deep wells into the center of each cookie.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. While the oven is heating, stick the trays of cookies in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
- Fill the middle of each cookie with 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon curd. Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes, or just until the bottoms turn golden blonde. Remove the treats from the oven. Let them remain on the pan to cool completely.
- Dust the lemon curd cookies with powdered sugar. They’re now ready to serve and enjoy.
ABOUT THE BUTTER: This is the base of the shortbread cookies. I recommend high-quality butter like Tillamook, or the Kirkland brand from Costco. If using salted butter, eliminate the 1/2 teaspoon salt from the recipe. Each cube of salted butter contains approximately 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Chill Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lemon Curd Cookies, Lemon Thumbprint Cookies, Cookies with Lemon Curd, Lemon Curd Thumbprint Cookies