Like lemon thumbprint cookies, Linzer Sugar Cookies with lemon curd are tangy and delicious! Sprinkled with powdered sugar, these easy Christmas cookies are ideal for cookie exchanges, holiday gift-giving, and hostess gifts.
ABOUT LINZER SUGAR COOKIES
This special European Christmas treat has its roots in Linz, Austria. The Linzertorte was introduced to America in the mid-1850s. Later, this pastry inspired recipes for Linzer cookies.
WHAT ARE LINZER COOKIES?
Traditional Linzer cookies are round with a cutout in the center revealing raspberry preserves. Today, these Christmas sugar cookies are made in an assortment of shapes. My Linzer cookies are a double star with lemon curd!
Ingredients for Linzer Christmas cookies:
- Vegetable shortening
- Granulated sugar
- Freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- Bonne Maman or HOMEMADE LEMON CURD
- Confectioners sugar
HOW TO MAKE LINZER COOKIES
It’s easy to make Linzer cookies from scratch!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Carefully crack eggs into the bowl.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice.
- Mix until incorporated.
CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIES
How to make Linzer sugar cookies:
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix until just combined.
- Don’t over-beat the dough!
DOUGH FOR LINZER COOKIES
- Divide the cookie dough into two balls.
- Cover the pieces in plastic wrap or put them in a zip-top bag.
- Chill the dough for 30-35 minutes in the freezer. Don’t skip this step!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Start by working with one piece of dough.
- Roll out dough to an approximate thickness of 1/4 – 1/8 of an inch.
CUT OUT SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
This recipe yields 48 individual stars to make 24 Linzer cookies.
- Cut shapes with a 3-inch star cookie cutter.
- Transfer cutouts to a baking tray lined with a reusable silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Gather dough scraps into a ball. Return to freezer until cold.
- Bake sugar cookies for 8 minutes.
- Don’t allow Linzer cookies to become golden! We want them light.
- Continue rolling, cutting, and baking.
- During this process, briefly store unbaked dough in the freezer.
COOLING CHRISTMAS COOKIES
- Allow freshly-baked stars to cool on the cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes.
- Gently transfer the Linzer cookies to a cooling rack.
- After sugar cookies have completely cooled, they’re ready to assemble!
HOW TO ASSEMBLE LINZER COOKIES
Linzer cookies are easy to assemble!
- Place a round dollop of lemon curd in the center of 24 sugar cookies.
- Create a stacked cookie by placing a second star on top.
- Gently twist the top star so its points are off-set from the bottom star.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top of the Christmas cookies!
BAKING TIPS FOR PERFECT SUGAR COOKIES
These baking tips will help you create gorgeous Christmas cookies that rival those from a bakery.
- The chilled cookie dough should be easy to work with (not overly stiff).
- Between batches, continuously return dough to the freezer.
- If cutout shapes cannot be lifted from your cutting board without bending, the dough is not cold enough!
- Don’t leave uncooked sugar cookies sitting out on a tray for more than 10-12 minutes waiting to be placed in the oven.
- If needed, briefly place the cookie sheet with unbaked cookies into the freezer to keep the dough chilled.
- Very cold dough is the secret to perfect sugar cookies that keep their shape!
These beautiful double-star sugar cookies are a unique spin on the traditional Linzer cookies. Filled with lemon curd and sprinkled with powdered sugar, these Christmas cookies are the perfect dessert for gift-giving and holidays parties.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 vegetable shortening (like Crisco), chilled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix until well blended. Add flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl. Mix until ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix the dough.
- With clean hands, gather the dough into a ball. Divide it half. Place both pieces in a large zip-top bag. Chill the dough in the freezer for 30-35 minutes. Remove one piece of dough from the freezer. Place it on a board. The cold dough should be a little stiff but still pliable enough to be worked with.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness between 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch. Cut out sugar cookies with a 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutter. Gather together the scraps of dough and briefly return them to the freezer. Transfer cut-out stars to an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Do not over-bake. Linzer sugar cookies should be light in color, not golden brown.
- Allow the stars to cool on the baking tray for 8-10 minutes. Gently transfer the Christmas cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat the process of rolling, cutting, and baking with remaining dough.
- Assemble the Linzer cookies: Place 12 sugar cookies flat side up. Add a dollop of lemon curd to the center of each star. Create a sandwich cookie by placing a second star on top. Gently twist the top star so its points alternate with the bottom cookie. Sprinkle sifted powdered sugar on top.
This sugar cookie recipe yields 48 stars, enough to make 24 Linzer cookies.
BAKING TIPS FOR PERFECT CHRISTMAS COOKIES: Very cold dough is the secret to perfect sugar cookies that keep their shape!
- Chilled dough should be easy to work with, not too stiff.
- Between batches, chill dough in the freezer.
- If dough is the right temperature, cutouts should easily lift without bending.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: Linzer Cookies, Sugar Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Cutout Cookies
POPULAR RECIPES FOR HOLIDAY COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP M&M COOKIES
- CIRCUS ANIMAL CRACKERS
- SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE WITH FROSTING
- PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS
- SOFT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- I AM BAKER: CHRISTMAS COOKIES
- LIL LUNA: FAVORITE HOLIDAY COOKIES
CHRISTMAS COOKIES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What do you think about these sugar cookies? Have you enjoyed Linzer cookies before? Join the conversation in the comments below!