These beautiful double-star sugar cookies are a unique spin on the traditional Linzer cookies. Filled with lemon curd and sprinkled with powdered sugar, these Christmas cookies are the perfect dessert for gift-giving and holidays parties.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 vegetable shortening (like Crisco), chilled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix until well blended. Add flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl. Mix until ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix the dough.
- With clean hands, gather the dough into a ball. Divide it half. Place both pieces in a large zip-top bag. Chill the dough in the freezer for 30-35 minutes. Remove one piece of dough from the freezer. Place it on a board. The cold dough should be a little stiff but still pliable enough to be worked with.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness between 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch. Cut out sugar cookies with a 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutter. Gather together the scraps of dough and briefly return them to the freezer. Transfer cut-out stars to an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Do not over-bake. Linzer sugar cookies should be light in color, not golden brown.
- Allow the stars to cool on the baking tray for 8-10 minutes. Gently transfer the Christmas cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat the process of rolling, cutting, and baking with remaining dough.
- Assemble the Linzer cookies: Place 12 sugar cookies flat side up. Add a dollop of lemon curd to the center of each star. Create a sandwich cookie by placing a second star on top. Gently twist the top star so its points alternate with the bottom cookie. Sprinkle sifted powdered sugar on top.
This sugar cookie recipe yields 48 stars, enough to make 24 Linzer cookies.
BAKING TIPS FOR PERFECT CHRISTMAS COOKIES: Very cold dough is the secret to perfect sugar cookies that keep their shape!
- Chilled dough should be easy to work with, not too stiff.
- Between batches, chill dough in the freezer.
- If dough is the right temperature, cutouts should easily lift without bending.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: Linzer Cookies, Sugar Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Cutout Cookies