Loaded baked potato soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s absolutely perfect for the cold-weather months. What you’ll love most about this delicious hearty recipe is how quick, simple and easy it is to make! Once you fry the bacon and ham, and dice the potatoes, this recipe moves along very fast. Once your family tastes this scrumptious baked potato soup, you’ll be getting plenty of requests to make it again and again!
The Best Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
These are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy and delicious baked potato soup recipe: thick-sliced bacon, cubed ham, butter, flour, milk, yellow onion, large Russet baking potatoes, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sea salt, and freshly-ground black pepper, sliced green onions.
Prep the Ingredients for Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Once you start preparing this potato soup recipe in the pot, everything comes together very swiftly. So it’s important to have everything prepped and ready to go! Begin by frying the bacon. Slice or crumble it and set it aside. Cube the ham and fry it until it’s lightly browned. Set it aside. Shred the cheddar cheese, chop the yellow onion, and thinly slice the green onion. Peel the Russet potatoes and slice them into very small cubes. Have the flour, milk and sour cream measured out and ready to go.
How to Make Baked Potato Soup
In a Dutch oven or stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour and whisk, whisk, whisk for about a minute or until the flour is just lightly browned. Add in the milk and continue whisking for about two or three minutes until the mixture begins to just slightly thicken up. Add in the ham, onions and potatoes. Stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Bring the baked potato soup to a brief boil. Stir the soup to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the pot, then dial down the heat to low. Allow the potato soup to simmer for about 12-14 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the pot from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of sour cream.
Garnishes for Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Ladle the scrumptious potato soup into double-handled soup bowls, if you have a set. Immediately garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced green onions. Don’t hold back – really load things up! Serve your loaded baked potato soup while it’s warm. When it’s raining outside I love to enjoy mine while curled up with a blanket all nice and cozy near the fireplace. Where will you enjoy yours?
If you’ve been looking for simple soup recipes or savory dishes that will take into comfort-food heaven, hands down this is one of the best soup recipes you’ll find!
Kitchen Tools + Serveware for Baked Potato Soup > SHOP THIS POST
I absolutely love my white Staub cast-iron cocotte. This beautiful elegant cookware seamlessly transitions from stovetop to tabletop. I bought mine while shopping at Williams Sonoma for my white soup bowls, but you can find yours through Amazon! My lovely stainless steel soup ladle came from Crate and Barrel, but you can find a similar one online. The gorgeous vintage recipe box and recipe cards below are perfect for storing time-honored recipes such as this one for loaded baked potato soup. They also make wonderful hostess gifts!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Yield 5-6 Servings
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 pound ham, sliced into small cubes and fried until lightly browned
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk (either whole milk or lowfat milk)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large Russet baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into small cubes
- Sea salt to taste
- 4 turns of freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
Once the first ingredients hit the pot, this recipe comes together super fast. So it's very important to prep all ingredients before you begin.
- Fry the bacon until it's very crispy, then slice or crumble it into small pieces. Set it aside. Slice the ham into very small cubes and fry it in a small pat of butter until it's deliciously browned. Set it aside. Shred the cheese, chop the yellow onion, thinly slice the green onions, and peel and cube the potatoes. Measure out the flour, milk and sour cream.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk, whisk, whisk for one minute until the flour begins to turn golden brown. Add in the milk and continuously whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture just slightly starts to thicken up.
- Add in the yellow onions, ham and potatoes. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Bring the potato soup to a brief boil. Stir to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pot, then dial down the heat to low. Allow the soup to simmer for 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender. Remove the pot from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the sour cream and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Ladle the potato soup into bowls. Garnish with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced green onions. Serve your soup while it's warm. Enjoy!
Courses Lunch, Dinner, Potluck
LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious potato soup recipe for later!
MORE LOADED RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you love bacon and cheese, you’re going to love these scrumptious recipes!
LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP RECIPE > YOUR THOUGHTS
In your stash of simple soup recipes, which one’s your ultimate go-to favorite? What do you think about this loaded baked potato soup? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!