Loaded baked potato soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s absolutely perfect for the cold-weather months. What you’ll love most about this delicious hearty recipe is how quick, simple and easy it is to make!
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 pound ham, sliced into small cubes and fried until lightly browned
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk (either whole milk or lowfat milk)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large Russet baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into small cubes
- Sea salt to taste
- 4 turns of freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
Once the first ingredients hit the pot, this recipe comes together super fast. So it’s very important to prep all ingredients before you begin.
- Fry the bacon until it’s very crispy, then slice or crumble it into small pieces. Set it aside. Slice the ham into very small cubes and fry it in a small pat of butter until it’s deliciously browned. Set it aside. Shred the cheese, chop the yellow onion, thinly slice the green onions, and peel and cube the potatoes. Measure out the flour, milk and sour cream.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk, whisk, whisk for one minute until the flour begins to turn golden brown. Add in the milk and continuously whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture just slightly starts to thicken up.
- Add in the yellow onions, ham and potatoes. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Bring the potato soup to a brief boil. Stir to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pot, then dial down the heat to low. Allow the soup to simmer for 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender. Remove the pot from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the sour cream and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Ladle the potato soup into bowls. Garnish with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced green onions. Serve your soup while it’s warm. Enjoy!
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Potluck
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: loaded baked potato soup, potato soup recipe, loaded potato soup recipe