These adorable meatloaf muffins are also known as meatloaf cupcakes! They’re glazed with ketchup, topped with mashed potatoes and sprinkled with a festive pinch of parsley. Get this delicious dinner on the table in 40 minutes.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley, no stems
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
MASHED POTATO “FROSTING”
- 4 Russet potatoes (or 2 Russet + 2 Yukon Gold)
- 4–6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (approximate)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: black pepper to taste
- Finely-chopped parsley for sprinkling
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 12 wells of a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Get the potatoes started: Wash, peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil them in a large pot until fork tender. Drain well. Add them to the bowl of a stand mixer along with melted butter. Whip briefly so they don’t become gummy! With the machine running on medium/low, slowly pour in cream until potatoes reach the desired consistency: creamy yet thick!
- In a small skillet, saute onion until golden and fragrant.
- Add all dry meatloaf ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add in eggs, onions and meat. Use clean hands to mix everything together. Divide the mixture into 12 balls. Press each ball firmly into a well of the muffin pan, flattening the tops. Bake 20-25 minutes until the internal temp of the meat is 160° F and the tops are lightly golden. Remove from oven. Transfer the meatloaf cupcakes to a large tray.
- Add a dollop of ketchup to the top of each muffin. With the back of a spoon spread ketchup over the surface leaving just a thin layer in the center, with a thicker amount along the rim. Important: the middle needs to have enough exposed meatloaf to “grip” the mashed potatoes so they won’t just slide off the top!
- If desired, add mashed potatoes to a zip-top freezer bag that’s been clipped on one corner and fitted with an open-star icing tip. Pipe the potatoes over the ketchup just as you would decorate a cupcake with frosting. A quicker option: just add a generous dollop of mashed potatoes on top! Sprinkle your meatloaf cupcakes with finely-chopped parsley!
TIME-SAVING TIPS FOR MEATLOAF RECIPE
- Substitute dry onion flakes for the caramelized onions.
- Use instant mashed potatoes instead of homemade.
- No piping tip? No problem! Add a spoonful of fluffy potatoes on top of the muffins.
- No time for making a separate veggie side dish? Grate zucchini or carrots and add them to the meatloaf mixture!
- Make a double batch of meatloaf muffins and freeze half. Individually wrap the cooled muffins, or place them in a zip-top freezer bag. To reheat, simply thaw and reheat in the oven or microwave.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Meatloaf, Meatloaf Muffins, Meatloaf Cupcakes