Hispanic Heritage month is the perfect time to focus on slowing down and spending more quality time around the table with our families. It’s about creating beautiful family traditions that will be handed down from generation to generation.
- 2 cups corn masa flour*
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch**
- 2 large eggs, white and yolk
- 2 large eggs, whites only
- 1/4 cup Gold ‘n Soft spread (regular – not light)
- 1 tablespoon pure Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 + 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- Garnishes: Gold ‘n Soft spread, additional blueberries for garnishing, maple syrup, powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Preheat your waffle iron AND preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine corn masa flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cornstarch, eggs, egg whites, Gold ‘n Soft, vanilla and milk. Mix until all ingredients are fully combined. The mixture will be smooth.
- With a spatula, gently fold the blueberries into the waffle batter.
- Spray the grids of your waffle iron with cooking spray, or brush the grills with tasteless vegetable oil. Cook the waffles according to the directions for your specific waffle iron.
- As you make the waffles, briefly store them in your warm oven. It will crisp them up a bit while evaporating moisture that might cause your waffles to become soggy. This will also keep your waffles warm until you’re done cooking all the waffles and are ready to serve them to your family and eat together.
- Garnish your waffles according to preference. Enjoy!
*Corn masa flour can be found in the Hispanic grocery section of large supermarkets. It can also be purchased at authentic Mexican markets.
**HELPFUL TIP: Cornstarch is like a sprinkle of magic. It makes waffles of any type, regardless of recipe, light and fluffy while reducing sogginess. If you don’t have cornstarch that’s okay, your waffles will still be very delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Waffle iron
- Cuisine: Mexican, American, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Mexican blueberry waffles, blueberry corn waffles, blueberry waffle recipe