Mexican pickled onions is a delicious condiment that’s quick and easy to make. Enjoy these tangy onions on tacos, tostadas, grilled meat, hamburgers, hot dogs, tuna salad, sub sandwiches and more!
- 1 medium red onion
- 6 – 8 Mexican limes (same as “key limes”), depending on juiciness
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 twists freshly-ground black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Thinly slice the red onion (about 1/8 inch thick). Add slices to a glass jar, or a small glass or ceramic bowl. (Avoid using a metal container or lid, or a plastic container. Metal reacts with vinegar. Plastic absorbs odors.)
- Add garlic clove, oregano, bay leaf and peppercorns. Season with salt. If desired, grind a bit of black pepper over the top.
- Add vinegar to the jar. Squeeze lime juice over the top. With a spoon, mix the ingredients together. The liquid should completely cover the onions. If not, add a bit more vinegar and lime juice to the mixture. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 1 hour, or overnight. As the red onions marinate in the liquid, they develop a beautiful hot pink color. Before serving, adjust salt to taste.
HOW TO GIVE THESE ONIONS A TOUCH OF HEAT: Add a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Or for a spicier outcome, dial up the heat with thinly-sliced habanero peppers.
CAN I LIGHTLY SWEETEN THIS RECIPE? Some Mexican family recipes include granulated sugar or agave syrup to balance out the tang. Another option is adding a bit of honey.
HOW LONG DOES THIS CONDIMENT STAY FRESH? When stored in a covered container and kept refrigerated, Mexican pickled onions can stay fresh with a good texture for up to 5 days.
- Category: Condiments
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican Pickled Onions, Pickled Red Onions, Quick Pickled Onions