This street corn dip is savory, well-textured and deeply delicious. It features authentic Mexican flavors and colors. Enjoy this appetizer with sturdy tortilla chips. Serve on Cinco de Mayo and all year long.
- 4 ears of corn*
- 1 tablespoon corn oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema (or sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (or crumbled goat cheese), plus more for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can Ortega diced fire-roasted green chiles, optional
FOR SERVING: Thick restaurant-style tortilla chips
RECIPE PREP: Shuck the ears of corn, removing the husks and the silk fibers. Here’s a trick for removing corn silk: brush the silk fibers away with a stiff-bristled vegetable brush or a new clean toothbrush.
- Preheat an indoor grill pan (or outdoor grill) over medium-high heat. Brush the corn with oil on all sides. Grill 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the corn is lightly charred. Remove from heat. Set ears of corn aside until they’re cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl, whisk together Mexican crema, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, smoked paprika and sea salt. Slice the kernels off the cobs. Add the kernels, cotija cheese and cilantro to the crema mixture. Stir to combine.
- If adding (optional) diced fire-roasted green chiles from a can, drain them well before folding them into the mixture. If you’d like to dial up the heat, and a few pinches cayenne pepper to taste.
- Garnish the corn dip with a squeeze of lime, a sprinkling of chili powder or paprika, a bit of cotija cheese, and sliced jalapeños if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.
*WHEN FRESH CORN IS OUT OF SEASON: Use 2 cups canned corn or frozen corn. In a large skillet on stovetop, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels to the pan. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until corn is slightly charred.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CORN DIP CREAMY: Add corn dip mixture to a food processor or high-speed blender. Add in 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons sour cream. Process until desired texture is reached. Transfer to a serving bowl. For additional flavor and texture, fold in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican Street Corn Dip, Mexican Street Corn Dip Recipe, Street Corn Dip, Corn Dip, Mexican Dip