This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
This Mexican wedge salad is crisp, refreshing and loaded with flavor. A wedge of iceberg lettuce is topped with veggies, black beans, avocado, pepitas, and cheese. Then drizzled with creamy cilantro lime dressing.
This Mexican wedge salad is like a party on a plate. It conjures up the vibrant flavors of Mexico, as well as celebrations like Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day. This healthy side can be paired with almost any dinner.
For additional flavor, feel free to add more delicious toppings. Like crispy, crunchy (cooked) bacon crumbles. Or sliced black olives and diced fire-roasted green chiles. If you don’t have cilantro lime dressing on hand, feel free to use another creamy option like buttermilk ranch dressing.
- Iceberg Lettuce: The base for our Mexican wedge salad.
- Cherry Tomatoes (or grape tomatoes): A perfect pairing with salad.
- Bell Pepper: Adds a delicious earthy flavor and crunchy texture.
- Corn Kernels: Add farm-fresh sweetness to the salad. You can use the kernels from grilled corn on the cob, or sweet canned corn.
- Black Beans: Contribute protein and carbs, and a deep savory flavor.
- Purple Onion: Adds color, crunch, and a mild sweet flavor.
- Haas Avocado: Has a smooth, buttery, creamy texture with a rich taste.
- Cilantro Lime Dressing: Homemade or store-bought. Adds a bright and creamy Mexican flavor.
- Queso Fresco (or Cotija): A flavorful Mexican cheese that’s slightly salty and mildly tangy.
- Pepitas: Roasted pumpkin seeds contribute texture and a nutty flavor.
- Colorful Tortilla Strips: Add a festive look and crunchy taste.
📖 RECIPE STEPS
RECIPE PREP: Remove the outer leaves of the iceberg lettuce. Then rinse the head of lettuce under cold running water. Pat it dry between paper towels.
- STEP 1: With a serrated knife (bread knife), slice the head of lettuce (from top to core) into four quarters. Slice off the hard pieces of stem and core from the wedges and discard them.
- STEP 2. Place each wedge on a salad plate. You can either stand the wedges upright, or put the wedges on their side.
- STEP 3: Top the salad with colorful veggies like corn kernels, bell peppers and red onion. Add black beans and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle kosher salt on each wedge, along with some ground black pepper.
- STEP 4: Arrange avocado slices on the side. Dress the salad with cilantro lime dressing. Sprinkle the Mexican wedge salad with Pepitas, Mexican cheese and colorful tortilla strips.
🧑🏼🍳 RECIPE FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions when making a Mexican wedge salad, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
It can be both. As a meal, a wedge salad is usually enjoyed for lunch. For dinner it’s often served before the main entrée.
Remove and discard outer leaves. Rinse the head under cold running water. Pat dry between paper towels. Place head of lettuce on a board. With a serrated knife, cut it in half (from top to core). Cut each half into half (from top to core). Chop off the pieces of stem/core and discard.
Pepitas are roasted pumpkin seeds without the shells. They have a sweet mild flavor and are often used for garnishing salads. At the market, look for them in the same section as nuts and other seeds.
At the market, look for pages of them near the salad dressings and salad toppings. If you can’t find any, you can replace them with another crunchy topping like these mini sourdough croutons.
🥗 MORE DELICIOUS SALAD RECIPES
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Watermelon Arugula Salad
- Cold Spaghetti Salad
- Egg Salad Recipe
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated this the BEST Mexican wedge salad. One tester said the presentation of this dish, along with the toppings and cilantro lime dressing, reminded him of a wedge salad he enjoyed at a restaurant in Mexico City.
If you agree this recipe’s a keeper, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share it with friends. 📌 Pin it to Pinterest.Print
This Mexican wedge salad is crisp, refreshing, and loaded with flavorful toppings. It’s garnished with Pepitas, cheese, and tortilla strips, then drizzled with creamy cilantro lime dressing.
- 1 head of Iceburg lettuce, quartered
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, whole or halved
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 1/2 cup purple onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans, well drained
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
- 1 Haas avocado, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled Mexican cheese (Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese)
- 2 cups multi-colored tortilla strips (or croutons)
- 1 cup Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup Pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
RECIPE PREP: Remove the outer leaves of the iceberg lettuce. Then rinse the head of lettuce under cold running water. Pat it dry between lint-free kitchen towels.
- With a serrated knife, slice the head of lettuce (from top to core) into four quarters. Slice off the pieces of stem and core from the wedges, and discard them.
- Place each wedge on a salad plate. You can either stand the wedges upright, or put the wedges on their side. Either way works.
- Top the salad with colorful veggies like corn kernels, bell peppers and red onion. Add black beans and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with kosher salt and a few twists of freshly-ground black pepper. Arrange avocado slices on the side.
- Drizzle cilantro lime dressing over the wedges. Sprinkle the top with pepitas, Mexican cheese and colorful tortilla strips. Serve and enjoy immediately.
What are Pepitas? They’re roasted pumpkin seeds without the shells. They have a sweet mild flavor and are often used for garnishing salads. At the market, look for them in the same section as nuts and other seeds.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Cutting
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: wedge salad, Mexican wedge salad, wedge salad recipe
MEXICAN WEDGE SALAD 👉🏻 JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy eating a variety of healthy, colorful salads? What do you think about this flavorful Mexican wedge salad? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!