These spooky mummy hot dogs are easy Halloween appetizers. Without candy eyeballs, mummy dogs are called hot dog fingers. They’re fun to make both ways!
- 1 can (8 oz) refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- 10 hot dogs
- 20 edible candy eyeballs
- Mustard (to glue on eyes)
- OPTIONAL: Ketchup, for dipping
RECIPE PREP: Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll the crescent dough on a clean work surface. Gently pull it into a rectangle with your fingers or a vampire spatula.
- With a sharp knife or pizza wheel, slice the dough into thin strips. Work with the shorter side of the rectangle.
- Pat each hot dog dry between paper towels to remove moisture. Wrap strips of dough around each hot dog in a criss-cross pattern like mummy bandages. Slightly stretch the strips as you go. This will prevent the dough from becoming overly puffed up when baking. Tuck loose ends underneath the hot dog. At one end, leave a space for the eyes.
- Transfer the mummy dogs to a baking tray, leaving room between each. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden blonde.
- pizza dough for this recipe! Use an 8-ounce can of crescent rolls, or an 11-oz can refrigerated breadsticks. You can also use
- HOW MANY MUMMY DOGS WITH 1 CAN OF DOUGH? There’s enough product in 1 8-oz can of crescent dough to wrap 16 mummy dogs.
- WHAT SIZE WIENERS FOR MUMMY DOGS? When serving as Halloween appetizers, I recommend using thin classic wieners, not the thick, jumbo or long types.
- DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOT DOG FINGERS AND MUMMY DOGS? When these appetizers come out of the oven, if candy eyes are not attached to make them mummies, then they’re called hot dog fingers!
- CAN YOU MAKE HOT DOG FINGERS AHEAD OF TIME? Yes! You can make them a day in advance. Place pre-assembled appetizers in an air-tight container and refrigerate. When ready to use, place them on a cookie sheet and bake. To turn them into mummy dogs, just add eyes!
- HOW TO MAKE CHEESY HOT DOG FINGERS: Quarter 2 1/2 slices American cheese. Place a piece of cheese beneath each wiener. Wrap with strips of dough to create mummy bandages.
- Further tips are included in the body of the post, along with helpful step-by-step recipe images.
- Category: Appetizers, Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mummy Hot Dogs, Mummy Dogs, Hot Dog Fingers