Mummy hot dogs are easy Halloween appetizers. Make a batch in 35 minutes. Take them to a Halloween party. You’re guaranteed to return with an empty dish.
- 1 can (8 oz) refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- 16 hot dogs
- 20 edible candy eyeballs
- Mustard (to glue on eyes)
- Ketchup, for dipping
RECIPE PREP: Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll the crescent dough on a clean work surface. With your fingers, gently pull it into a rectangle.
- With a sharp knife or pizza wheel, slice the dough into thin strips. Work with the shorter side of the rectangle.
- Pat each hot dog dry between paper towels to remove moisture. Wrap strips of dough around each hot dog in a criss-cross pattern like mummy bandages. Slightly stretch the strips as you go. This will prevent the dough from becoming overly puffed up when baking. Tuck loose ends underneath the hot dog. At one end, leave a space for the eyes.
- Transfer the mummy dogs to a baking tray, leaving room between each. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden blonde.
- pizza dough for this recipe. Use an 8-ounce can of crescent rolls, or an 11-oz can refrigerated breadsticks. You can also use
- What size wieners for mummy hot dogs? For Halloween appetizers, I recommend using thin classic wieners, not the thick, jumbo or long types. For small bites, use mini hot dogs instead.
- How to make hot dog mummies in advance: Arrange assembled appetizers in an air-tight container and refrigerate. When ready to use, place them on a cookie sheet and bake. Then add candy eyes.
- How to make cheesy hot dog mummies: Cut slices of American cheese into quarters. Place a piece of cheese beneath each wiener. Wrap with strips of dough to create mummy bandages.
- Further tips are included in the body of the post, along with helpful step-by-step recipe images.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mummy Hot Dogs, Mummy Dogs, Hot Dog Fingers