This elevated peanut butter cookie flaunts a delicious chocolate kiss smack in the middle. Peanut butter blossoms are a perfect Valentine’s Day treat, but these scrumptious cookies are also enjoyed all year round.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 48 chocolate candy kisses
- 1/3 cup additional granulated sugar for rolling
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove wrappers from the chocolate kisses. Add 1/3 granulated sugar to a small bowl and set it aside. Take out two cookie sheets.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the peanut butter and shortening. Mix until well blended. Add the granulated sugar and light-brown sugar. Beat the mixture until it’s light and fluffy. Add the egg, milk, vanilla extract, baking soda and salt. Beat well. Add the flour and mix until fully incorporated. If needed, scrape down the bowl and continue mixing.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a pastry board or cutting board. Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Start with the first piece of dough: divide it into 12 pieces. With clean hands, roll each piece into a one-inch ball. Dip and roll the peanut butter blossoms in the small bowl of granulated sugar, coating each piece well. Place the cookies two-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes. The peanut butter blossoms are done baking when they’re very lightly golden brown, a bit puffed up and have started to develop some nice cracks all over the surface. As soon as you pull the cookies out of the oven, immediately press a chocolate candy kiss into the center of each one. The peanut butter blossom cookies will further crack around the edges which is exactly the lovely look we’re going for!
- Eat one or two cookies right away while they’re still warm – you deserve it! Allow the rest of the batch to remain on the cookie sheets until they’ve completely cooled. Transfer the cookies to a tiered dessert stand or serving plate. Enjoy with a glass of milk, hot chocolate, coffee or tea. The cookies will stay fresh for 3-5 days if placed in an air-tight container.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peanut butter blossoms, peanut butter blossom recipe