These candy cane chocolate chip cookies are packed with yummy white and dark chocolate chips and crushed candy canes. Crisp around the edges and soft in the middle, they have a gorgeous texture and festive crunch!
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (firmly-packed) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli premium baking classic white chips
- 6 regular-size candy canes, well crushed (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- FOR SPRINKLING: Additional crushed candy canes
- OPTIONAL: Maldon flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
RECIPE PREP: Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper or reusable silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Whisk to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The dough will be softer, thinner, and much less dense than standard chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Sprinkle in the dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and crushed candy canes. Gently fold them into the batter. Cover and chill in the freezer 30 minutes, or in the fridge 45 minutes (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. With a 1-ounce metal scoop, portion out pucks of cookie dough, placing the balls 2 inches apart on a prepared baking tray.
- Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until the edges are just set, and the middles are puffy. It’s absolutely perfect if the centers are still a bit gooey and under baked. After removing the cookie sheet from the oven, tap it gently on the counter to slightly deflate the cookies.
- If desired, sprinkle tops of the cookies with flaky sea salt and/or additional candy cane crumbs. Let cookies shed heat on the tray about 5 minutes. When cool enough to lift, transfer to a metal rack to finish cooling.
HOW TO FREEZE COOKIE DOUGH: Line a metal tray that will fit inside the freezer with parchment paper. Portion out cookie dough into small balls. In a single layer, arrange balls on prepared tray leaving space between each. Slip tray of cookie dough into the freezer for 3 to 4 hours or until solid. Transfer frozen balls to a zip-top freezer bag, or arrange them in a plastic container with layers separated by sheets of parchment paper. Freeze up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Chill Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies, Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies