This creamy pesto chicken bake is juicy, tender and delicious! It’s a restaurant-quality meal that’s quick and simple assemble at home. Make this easy recipe in 35 minutes!
- 4 chicken breast fillets, boneless/skinless
- Sea salt, as desired
- Freshly-ground black pepper, as desired
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 1/2 tablespoons non-pareil capers, drained and rinsed
- FOR GARNISHING: Fresh basil leaves, hand shredded
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BASIL PESTO CHICKEN: Serve this entree over mashed potatoes, thin noodles, cauliflower rice, jasmine rice, or cooked zucchini noodles (zoodles).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse chicken. Pat the pieces dry between paper towels. Season all sides with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Sear chicken 4 minutes on each side until golden brown, then remove pan from heat.
- While chicken is searing, warm cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Do not allow liquid to boil. Add a pinch of garlic powder and pinch of salt to the warm cream-and-butter mixture. Stir in the basil pesto. Grate parmesan cheese directly over the pan of creamy pesto. With a wooden spoon, stir briefly until cheese is incorporated and has melted in.
- Sprinkle cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and capers over the chicken in the cast-iron skillet. Pour the creamy pesto sauce over the chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until poultry is done. The internal temperature of baked chicken should be 165°F in the thickest part.
- Garnish with hand-torn basil leaves.
- Half-and-half or evaporated milk.
- DELICIOUS ADD-INS: Try marinated artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, or feta cheese.
- cutting board. Slice up the breasts. Return them to the pan to get covered in sauce. Divide the entree equally between the number of diners, serving over a base of noodles, mashed potatoes, rice, cauliflower, etc. Once baking is done, transfer chicken to a
- MAKE-AHEAD RECIPE: When using the freshest ingredients, this pesto chicken bake can be assembled and baked 1 -2 days in advance. Cool and refrigerate in an air-tight container.
- MORE INFO ABOUT THIS RECIPE: Further tips are included in the body of the post, along with helpful step-by-step recipe images.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop + Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pesto Chicken, Pesto Chicken Bake, Basil Pesto Chicken