This piña colada mix is the boozy tropical beverage sipped from a coconuts on the beach with toes in the sand. The recipe was shared by a bartender from a luxury ocean-front resort. Enjoy it by the pool on hot summer days.
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 2 oz. (1/4 cup) Bacardi rum
- 1 1/2 oz. (3 tablespoons) coconut cream
- 1 1/2 oz. (3 tablespoons) heavy whipping cream
- 6 oz. (3/4 cup) pineapple juice
OPTIONAL GARNISHES: Pineapple wedges and stemmed maraschino cherries
- Add ice to the jar of an industrial blender. If the chunks are large, crush them in the blender (process them) into smaller pieces.
- Add rum, coconut cream, heavy whipping cream, and pineapple juice to the blender jar. Blend about 15 seconds. Stop when you no longer hear the crunching sound of ice breaking up.
- Pour the piña colada into a tall narrow glass, a hurricane glass, or a hulled-out pineapple or coconut. Serve this ice-cold drink immediately! Don’t give the creamy mixture a chance to separate into foam and liquid.
BEST RUM FOR PIÑA COLADA MIX: At resorts everywhere, Barcardi Rum is a favorite when whipping up these tropical cocktails. Although white rum is often used, the Caribe Hilton uses Barcardi Gold Rum. For home parties, Malibu Caribbean Rum with coconut liqueur is also a good choice. At only 42 proof, guests can enjoy a couple of these fruity cocktails without getting too tipsy.
DOES THIS DRINK HAVE TO BE BLENDED? No it doesn’t. You can serve this drink 2 ways: blended with ice, or shaken and served on the rocks.
HOW TO SWEETEN THIS BEVERAGE: Sweeten the mixture with powdered sugar.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American / Puerto Rican
Keywords: pina colada, pina colada mix, frozen pina colada recipe