Homemade pizza rolls with pesto drizzle are easy appetizers. They top the list of delicious finger food ideas for parties! Once you taste these scrumptious pizza bites, it’s impossible to stop at just one!
INGREDIENTS FOR PIZZA ROLLS
These are the simple ingredients you’ll need to make these scrumptious pepperoni rolls from scratch:
- Store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- Pizza sauce
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Yellow corn meal
- Red chili pepper flakes
- Homemade pesto
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERONI PIZZA BITES
Here’s how to make these easy appetizers at home!
- STEP 1: On a large cutting board, unroll the refrigerated pizza dough.
- STEP 2: With a rolling pin, lightly roll out the dough so it’s a basic rectangle with straight edges (roughly 10×14).
- STEP 3: Evenly spread a thin layer of sauce over the surface.
RECIPE FOR PIZZA ROLLS
- STEP 4: Shake a bit of garlic and oregano over the dough. Add pepperoni slices, just slightly overlapping each of the pieces. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and shredded basil over the pepperoni.
- STEP 5: From the long size, tightly roll the pizza into a log. This rolling process is very similar to that of making homemade cinnamon rolls.
EXPERT COOKING TIP: If time allows, place this easy appetizer into the freezer for about 10-12 minutes, but no longer than that! This will make the dough slightly firmer, so slicing the log will be a little easier.
Making mini pizzas is easy with these step-by-step instructions:
- STEP 6: With a sharp knife, cut the log into 15 or 16 pieces. Place the pizza rolls on a lined baking tray that’s been lightly sprinkled with corn meal.
- STEP 7: Bake mini pizzas for 15-18 minutes at 375 degrees F. About 14 minutes into the baking process, take a peek at the bottom of the pizza rolls to make sure they aren’t getting burnt. You’ll know that your pizza bites are done once they’ve become nice and golden all over.
EXPERT COOKING TIP: Corn meal is used on the underside of pizza crusts to prevent the dough from sticking to pizza stones and pizza peels. It’s also great for adding some extra texture and crunch to these delicious pizza rolls!
Here’s how to serve these easy appetizers:
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and a few pinches of red pepper flakes over the top of the pizza rolls.
- Lightly drizzle each piece with pesto, or serve this appetizer with pesto on the side.
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR MINI PIZZA RECIPE
I love easy appetizers that can be made with just a few simple kitchen items. This means less mess and clean-up, and a much happier cook in the kitchen! The baking tray and silicone baking mats below are what I used it to make these party favorites!
Pizza rolls are easy appetizers. They’re fun party snacks that are perfect for the game-day crowd! Made with homemade pizza dough or refrigerated store-bought dough, these yummy pizza bites are some of the best finger food ideas this season.
- 1 13.8-ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough*
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 + 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 35 pieces of thinly-sliced pepperoni**
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded or sliced
- Cornmeal for sprinkling on baking tray
- Garnishes: grated Parmesan, red pepper flakes, basil pesto (homemade or store bought), black olives as an optional add-on
- Pop open the tube of pizza crust and lay it flat on an extra-large cutting board. With a rolling pin, even out the edges to make them straight. Your finished rectangle should be approximately 10X14 inches or slightly smaller.
- Add pizza sauce to the center of the crust. With a spoon or spatula, spread it evenly over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle garlic powder and oregano on top.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese onto the pizza in an even layer. Arrange the pepperoni slices on top of the cheese. Add grated parmesan and a bit of shredded basil.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Tightly roll the long end of the rectangle upward to form a nice-looking log. If there’s time, place the log into the freezer on the cutting board or cookie sheet. Leave it there for 10-12 minutes. This will help firm up the dough a bit to make slicing the pizza bites much easier!
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. If you have a pizza stone, now is a great time to use it! Sprinkle corn meal onto the baking tray or pizza stone. This will give the baked pepperoni rolls an added bit of texture and crunch!
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the pizza rolls are beautifully golden. Remove from the oven.
- Arrange the mini pizzas on a serving tray. Sprinkle them with grated Parmesan and chili flakes. Lightly drizzle pesto on top. Serve with a bowl of black olives and a beverage of choice.
*Be sure to use a classic pizza crust NOT a thin crust. A thin crust will start falling apart as you roll it.
*One 7-ounce pack of thinly-sliced pepperoni has approximately 63 pieces.
- Category: Appetizers, Party, Snacks
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: homemade pizza rolls, pesto pizza rolls, pizza roll recipe
HOMEMADE PIZZA ROLLS RECIPE > PIN IT NOW!
If you’re drooling over these easy appetizers, pin this recipe to Pinterest now! Pizza rolls are great game day snacks, and for parties and events throughout the year.
MORE FINGER FOOD IDEAS
If you like these mini pizzas, you’ll enjoy these recipes too!
EASY APPETIZERS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy making easy appetizers? What do you think of these yummy pizza rolls? Share your favorite finger food ideas in the comments below!