These homemade pumpkin bagels are served with (optional) maple-flavored cream cheese spread. They’re super easy make and so delicious. Enjoy this hand-held meal for breakfast or snack time.
- 3/4 cup warm water (110ºF to 115ºF)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 3/4 cups all-Purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey – for flavoring boiling water
- 1 large egg – for brushing
OPTIONAL TOPPING IDEAS: Try sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything bagel seasoning, or cinnamon sugar.
FLAVORED CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- 1 8-ounce cream cheese brick, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
ASSEMBLE THE DOUGH
RECIPE PREP: Warm your oven to 200ºF. Once the temperature is reached, turn the oven off. We’re creating a slightly-warm, draft-free environment where we’ll put the dough to rise.
- Add warm water (110ºF to 115ºF), sugar and yeast to a large mixing bowl. Stir in yeast until completely dissolved. Set bowl aside until the yeast bubbles and foams, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree to the bowl. Whisk it in. Use a dough whisk or wooden spoon to stir in the flour, pumpkin pie spice and sea salt. Once a shaggy dough forms, gather it together. Turn it out onto a clean wooden board. Knead 5 minutes, or until the dough is soft and smooth, elastic but not sticky.
- Lightly oil a a large mixing bowl. Transfer dough to the oiled bowl. Turn the dough in the bowl so it’s lightly oiled on top. Cover with a clean lint-free cloth. Put bowl in the (turned-off) oven. Let the dough rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
LET DOUGH RISE AGAIN THEN SHAPE
RECIPE PREP: Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or a reusable silicone baking mat.
- Once dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a clean wooden board. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.Shape each piece into a round ball. Arrange them, spaced out, on prepared baking tray. Cover the tray with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from developing on the surface.
- Let the balls rise 1 hour until doubled in size.
- With your thumbs, create a 2-inch hole in the center of each ball. Stretch the dough as needed to create a classic bagel shape.
BOIL BAGELS THEN BAKE
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Fill a large pot with water. Bring it to a boil. Whisk in the honey. Working with one bagel at a time, boil it for 30 seconds on each side. Remove bagel from water with a slotted spoon. Transfer it to lined baking tray.
- Beat egg with a splash of water. Brush the top of each bagel with egg wash. If you’d like to add a topping like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or everything bagel seasoning, now’s the time to sprinkle it on.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until the bagels are golden around the edges and done. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
FLAVORED CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
RECIPE PREP: Soften the brick of cream cheese. Transfer unwrapped brick to a heat safe plate. Microwave 10 seconds on high. If needed, microwave 5 seconds more.
- Put cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer with whip attachment. Whip until it’s light and fluffy with no lumps. Add maple syrup and cinnamon to the bowl. Whip to combine.
- Transfer flavored spread to a jar or 2 ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time, or for up to 5 days.
HOW TO STORE BAGELS: Store cooled bagels in a brown paper bag on the countertop. They’ll stay fresh for 2 to 3 days.
HOW TO FREEZE BAGELS: Once the bagels have cooled, arrange them in a single layer inside a zip-top freezer bag. Gently press out the air. Freeze up to 1 month.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Bagels, Pumpkin Spice Bagels, Pumpkin Bagel Recipe