Glazed pumpkin hand pies are are so delicious! Like empanadas, they’re ideal for snacking, picnics, and parties.
These mini pumpkin pies pull me back in time to my grandmother’s kitchen. When making these orchard-stand favorites, the aroma of fall mixed with sweet bakery scents fills the air. Make this easy recipe in just 45 minutes!
PIN GLAZED PUMPKIN HAND PIES TO MAKE THEM LATER!
About Pumpkin Hand Pies
Over the past week my eyes have been misting up with joy. It’s so hard to believe how fast time flies! My daughter Brooke just got married. And as the years roll by, one of my biggest wishes is to safeguard our treasured family recipes, like these mini pumpkin pies, for the next generation.
Ingredients for Mini Pumpkin Pies
You can quickly create these scrumptious pumpkin pasties with just a few basic ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make the pumpkin pie filling:
- Canned pumpkin puree
- Light-brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Ground cinnamon
- Pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for Pie Dough
It takes less than 5 minutes to make pie dough from scratch! Below are the ingredients. Find step-by-step instructions for this time-honored recipe right here: Homemade Pie Crust.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Sea salt
- Unsalted butter
- Ice water
Ingredients for Vanilla Glaze
Below are the three basic ingredients for a simple yet scrumptious vanilla glaze:
- Powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk (whole or low-fat)
How to Make Pumpkin Pasties
In many countries pumpkin hand pies are also called pumpkin pasties! Here’s how to make these yummy hand-held desserts:
- Prepare a double batch of this 5-minute pie dough recipe: HOMEMADE PIE CRUST. Gather the pie dough together. Divide it into two balls. Put the dough in a zip-top bag and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling. Mix with a spatula or spoon. Put the bowl aside.
- On parchment paper, roll out the first ball of dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle using a rolling pin. With a 3-inch fluted edge pastry cutter, cut out circles. Gather the scraps of dough together and continue rolling and cutting.
How to Fill and Seal Hand Pies
- Using an actual measuring spoon, place one tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling in the center of half of the dough rounds. Dip your finger into water. Very lightly rim the edges of the dough with water.
- Place remaining dough rounds on top of the filled circles. With your fingertips, gently press the edges to seal the dough. Crimp the edges with a fork. With a sharp knife, cut intersecting slits across the top of the pumpkin pasties.
How to Bake Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Create an egg wash by whisking together one egg white with one tablespoon water. Lightly brush egg wash over the top of each hand pie.
- Transfer the parchment paper with the hand pies to a baking tray. Bake the mini pumpkin pies in a preheated 375°F oven for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow the hand pies to cool.
How to Glaze Pumpkin Pasties
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the vanilla glaze.
- With a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the slightly-warm pumpkin pasties.
- Use a clean finger to spread the glaze evenly over the entire top surface of the hand pies.
I WANT WHAT SHE HAS
Beautiful cooking tools bring happiness to the kitchen! They make meal prep a joyful experience. Did you see something here you’d like to own?
Below are affiliate links for purchasing the items on Amazon.
- FLUTED EDGE PASTRY CUTTER
- MIXING BOWLS
- RUBBER SPATULA
- GOLD MEASURING SPOONS
- BAKING TRAY
- RECIPE BOX
- RECIPE CARDS
ESSENTIAL FALL RECIPES
A beautiful APPLE STRUDEL made from scratch is what every family should enjoy at least once during the fall season! Invite over a friend, a sister or another relative and make this fabulous recipe together.
Homemade APPLE PIE FILLING is quick and easy to make! Use it to make hand pies, apple pies, strudel and more! Add a few spoonfuls to your oatmeal in the morning.
Say hello to autumn with a freshly-baked batch of PUMPKIN MUFFINS with crumb-cake topping!
BEST PUMPKIN HAND PIES > ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ RATE THIS RECIPE
Family and friends say these are the best pumpkin hand pies. If you agree, give this delicious dessert recipe a 5-star rating in the comments!Print
Glazed Pumpkin Hand Pies
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 15 Hand Pies 1x
Grandma’s scrumptious recipe for pumpkin hand pies with vanilla glaze. You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make these mini pumpkin pies from scratch! These delicious desserts are also called pumpkin pasties.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup), chilled and chopped into tiny pieces
- 12 tablespoons shortening (3/4 cup), chilled and chopped
- 12 tablespoons ice water
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/8 cup light-brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare a double batch of this 5-minute pie dough recipe: HOMEMADE PIE CRUST. Gather the dough together. Divide it into two balls. Put the dough in a zip-top bag and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling. Mix well using a spoon or spatula.
- Place the first ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper the size of your baking tray. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. With a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Gather the scraps of dough together. Roll out and cut additional pieces. Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Using an actual measuring spoon, place a tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling in the middle of half of the circles. With a clean fingertip, rub a little bit of water around the edges of the dough. Place the remaining dough circles on top of the filled ones. Gently press the edges of the dough together with your fingertip. With a fork, crimp the edges all the way around.
- With a sharp knife, slice two small intersecting cuts on the surface of the pumpkin pasties. Lightly brush the tops with egg wash. Gently transfer the parchment paper with the hand pies to a baking tray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the mini pumpkin pies are a light-golden brown. Remove the hand pies from the oven and allow them to cool right on the tray.
- In a small bowl, use a spoon to mix together the ingredients for the vanilla glaze. Once the hand pies are just slightly warm, drizzle the glaze over the top. With a clean finger, spread the glaze evenly over the surface.
MAKE-AHEAD RECIPE: Cover tray of unbaked pumpkin hand pies with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to one day, or freeze in a single layer. Conveniently, these pies can be baked straight from the freezer! Just add a few minutes onto the original baking time.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Hand Pies, Mini Pumpkin Pies
MINI PUMPKIN PIES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you love making or eating homemade pies? When was the last time you enjoyed pumpkin hand pies? Join the conversation about these pumpkin pasties in the comments below.
50 thoughts on “Glazed Pumpkin Hand Pies”
YUMMY! I will absolutely be trying this one. Great job!
And… as always… your photos are stunning! :)
Thank you so much Lori! These little pumpkin hand pies are a family tradition. They’re so darn yummy!
ok those look realllllly good! They actually look pretty easy to make too!
I’m looking to prepare something different this coming holidays for the family and this looks like so easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing the recipe and how it’s done :) Happy holidays!
These look amazing! The only thing to me better than pie is pie you can take on the go! Love this twist on a classic!
I am there with you. Anything you can take with you is good in my book.
These hand pies look delicious. I love the idea of making small dishes instead of a large pie. This will be perfect for holiday parties.
These pies are perfect for holiday parties. I can’t think of anything better.
Oh my, I am literally running to the kitchen right now and making this. Has anything ever looked this delicious? It’s funny – I was just chatting to my friend about making pies!
Lol. let me know how you like them?
Yum!!!! Those look and sound so delicious! Can’t wait to try!
They are so yummy. They will go super fast after you get done making them.
Such a great yet simple recipe! Putting this one at the top of my list to try for fall! Thank you so much for sharing!!♥️
You’re so welcome. They are so yummy and everyone will definitely love them.
Oooo, I’m loving this recipe! Can’t wait to give it a try with gluten-free flour!!
They would be so good with the gluten-free flour. Thats something ill have to try.
Oh wow. I made pumpkin hand pies last year for Thanksgiving and now looking at these I wanna make some again. These look so delicious. I bet they were gone in an instant.
They go soooo fast. But that means that they are really good. Lol
How adorable!! These hand pies would be perfect for the holidays. Children usually don’t sit down and eat a piece of pie. But cookies, now, are different. They could have their dessert in cookie form. Also, I think the little pies would be ideal at an afternoon coffee or tea. I’m pinning this recipe — it’s one I’m sure to make.
Awww, thank you so much. I’m pretty sure you will really like them .
They look so good and I must say they are really pretty as well. :)
Thank you so much. I really hope everyone loves them.
Wow, what a great recipe! A great idea for a breakfast with a cup of tea or coffee. Looks very tasty. Thank you.
They would be perfect for breakfast. They are so yummy.
Ohmygoodness! What’s better for the season than these GORGEOUS handpies? These turned out beautiful and I would love to get my hands on them!
They are absolutely yummy too! The best of both worlds!
These glazed pumpkin hand pies look delicious. The recipe looks relatively easy as well. I would definitely give these a try. Your pictures make them look absolutely mouthwatering, and they’re perfect for this time of year.
Thank you Clara! I’m so glad you’re loving on these little hand pies. I know you’ll enjoy making a batch that you can share!
This is like a perfect combo of ingredients I love, all wrapped up in an adorable little package <3 I'll have to add this to my fall baking list!
Woo-hoo! Raine, I’m so happy to hear to that you’ll soon be baking up a batch of these mini pumpkin pies! I hope they’ll become a special fall tradition in your family too!
Pumpkin pie just got an upgrade! YUM!
Casey, thank you so much for stopping by to enjoy this hand pie recipe! Thanks also for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it!
Yum, Pumpkin hand pies are spectacular in their own right, but when something reminds you of your grandmother it’s even better! This sounds like a wonderful recipe worth repeating each fall!
Thank you Jenni! My grandma had so many special recipes. She was such a fabulous cook. I hope you’ll whip up a batch of these to celebrate the fall season. These hand pies are seriously scrumptious!
Oh my goodness, these look and sound amazing. I love to bake with pumpkin. Our teenage daughter makes a delicious pumpkin bread that we all really enjoy. I have to give these a try. I know my family would love them.
Yay! Jenn, I’m so excited that you and your daughter will soon be baking up a batch of these delicious hand pies. I highly recommend making a double batch!
Passing down family recipes/traditions is something I want to do as well.
These sound SO GOOD! I’m so happy it’s pumpkin season, I want pumpkin everything!!
Chantal, I too am super excited that pumpkin season is finally here! I hope you’ll bake up a batch or two of these scrumptious hand pies for your family and friends.
I’ve just recently realised I like pumpkin. Only taken me a couple of decades to come to this realisation.. lol.. I’m excited to try this recipe out. I’m such a big fan of pies..
Hahahaa… Kelly, I love that you finally realized that you like the taste of pumpkin! You will really love the beautiful flavors in these yummy pumpkin hand pies.
Oh my!! These look delicious and so “fall!” I can’t wait to make them to get our family into the fall feeling. It’s 95 here in Texas, so I need to remind myself it’s Seltember!! Ha!
Wow! A hot 95-degrees in Texas – that’s amazing! Once the weather starts cooling down, I hope you’ll turn on your oven and bake up a beautiful batch of pumpkin hand pies! :-)
These pumpkin pasties look super cute and delicious! Love that you make the dough from scratch! Will try out your recipes and just followed you on Instagram :)
Leanne, you are just too sweet! Thank you so much for your kind comment and for following me on IG. Once you try my 5-minute pie dough recipe, you’ll be hooked. You’ll never want to purchase store-bought pie crusts again! :-)
I’ve always wanted to make little pies like these! This recipe looks so easy and yummy!
Hi Chelsea! These mini pumpkin pies are super easy to make and so darn scrumptious. I hope you have a chance to try out this special fall recipe.
How amazing these look I just love hand pies and usually blueberry are my favorite but I love pumpkin and never thought you can make them without exploding I just have to make this recipe they look fantastic!
Yay! Claudia, you’ll love how these hand pies don’t leak or explode in the oven! The criss-cross slits on the top allow steam to escape and keep your mini pumpkin pies looking gorgeous!
These look so delicious. (and, TBH, way less stressful than trying to make a super artsy top crust for a full pie). I may have to whip up a batch of these to sneak into lunch boxes too.
Thank you so much Kita for your sweet comment! You’re going to love this quick simple recipe for pumpkin hand pies. They’re perfect for adding to a lunch box. :-)