A beautiful batch of glazed pumpkin hand pies is all it takes to pull me back in time to my grandmother’s farmhouse-style kitchen. When making these adorable mini pumpkin pies, the aroma of fall mixed with sweet bakery scents fills the air.
About Pumpkin Hand Pies
Over the past week my eyes have been misting up with joy. It’s so hard to believe how fast time flies! My daughter Brooke just got married. And as the years roll by, one of my biggest wishes is to safeguard our treasured family recipes, like these mini pumpkin pies, for the next generation.
Ingredients for Mini Pumpkin Pies
You can quickly create these scrumptious pumpkin pasties with just a few basic ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make the pumpkin pie filling:
- Canned pumpkin puree
- Light-brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Ground cinnamon
- Pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for Pie Dough
It takes less than 5 minutes to make pie dough from scratch! Below are the ingredients. Find step-by-step instructions for this time-honored recipe right here: Homemade Pie Crust.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Sea salt
- Unsalted butter
- Ice water
Ingredients for Vanilla Glaze
Below are the three basic ingredients for a simple yet scrumptious vanilla glaze:
- Powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk (whole or low-fat)
How to Make Pumpkin Pasties
In many countries pumpkin hand pies are also called pumpkin pasties! Here’s how to make these yummy hand-held desserts:
- Prepare the pie dough using this simple 5-minute recipe (but make a double batch!): Homemade Pie Crust. Gather the pie dough together. Divide it into two balls. Put the dough in a zip-top bag and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling. Mix with a spatula or spoon. Put the bowl aside.
- On parchment paper, roll out the first ball of dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle using a rolling pin. With a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Gather the scraps of dough together and continue rolling and cutting.
How to Fill and Seal Hand Pies
- Using an actual measuring spoon, place one tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling in the center of half of the dough rounds. Dip your finger into water. Very lightly rim the edges of the dough with water.
- Place remaining dough rounds on top of the filled circles. With your fingertips, gently press the edges to seal the dough. Crimp the edges with a fork. With a sharp knife, cut intersecting slits across the top of the pumpkin pasties.
How to Bake Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Create an egg wash by whisking together one egg white with one tablespoon water. Lightly brush egg wash over the top of each hand pie.
- Transfer the parchment paper with the hand pies to a baking tray. Bake the mini pumpkin pies in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and allow the hand pies to cool.
How to Glaze Pumpkin Pasties
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the vanilla glaze.
- With a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the slightly-warm pumpkin pasties.
- Use a clean finger to spread the glaze evenly over the entire top surface of the hand pies.
Kitchen Tools for Mini Pumpkin Pies
Just a few standard kitchen tools are needed to make this yummy recipe for pumpkin hand pies! The beautiful recipe tin below reminds me of the one Grandma had. The recipe box and cards make a lovely hostess gift!
PUMPKIN PASTIES > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this recipe for mini pumpkin pies. PIN IT TO PINTEREST RIGHT NOW!
ESSENTIAL FALL RECIPES
A beautiful APPLE STRUDEL made from scratch is what every family should enjoy at least once during the fall season! Invite over a friend, a sister or another relative and make this fabulous recipe together.
Homemade APPLE PIE FILLING is quick and easy to make! Use it to make hand pies, apple pies, strudel and more! Add a few spoonfuls to your oatmeal in the morning.
Say hello to autumn with a freshly-baked batch of PUMPKIN MUFFINS with crumb-cake topping!
Grandma’s scrumptious recipe for pumpkin hand pies with vanilla glaze. You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make these mini pumpkin pies from scratch! These delicious desserts are also called pumpkin pasties.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup), chilled and chopped into tiny pieces
- 12 tablespoons shortening (3/4 cup), chilled and chopped
- 12 tablespoons ice water
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/8 cup light-brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare a double batch of this 5-minute pie dough recipe: Homemade Pie Crust. Gather the dough together. Divide it into two balls. Put the dough in a zip-top bag and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling. Mix well using a spoon or spatula.
- Place the first ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper the size of your baking tray. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. With a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Gather the scraps of dough together. Roll out and cut additional pieces. Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Using an actual measuring spoon, place a tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling in the middle of half of the circles. With a clean fingertip, rub a little bit of water around the edges of the dough. Place the remaining dough circles on top of the filled ones. Gently press the edges of the dough together with your fingertip. With a fork, crimp the edges all the way around.
- With a sharp knife, slice two small intersecting cuts on the surface of the pumpkin pasties. Lightly brush the tops with egg wash. Gently transfer the parchment paper with the hand pies to a baking tray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the mini pumpkin pies are a light-golden brown. Remove the hand pies from the oven and allow them to cool right on the tray.
- In a small bowl, use a spoon to mix together the ingredients for the vanilla glaze. Once the hand pies are just slightly warm, drizzle the glaze over the top. With a clean finger, spread the glaze evenly over the surface.
MINI PUMPKIN PIES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you love delicious homemade hand pies? When was the last time you enjoyed a pumpkin hand pie? Join the conversation about pumpkin pasties in the comments below. LEAVE A STAR RATING FOR THIS RECIPE!