Grandma’s scrumptious recipe for pumpkin hand pies with vanilla glaze. You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make these mini pumpkin pies from scratch! These delicious desserts are also called pumpkin pasties.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup), chilled and chopped into tiny pieces
- 12 tablespoons shortening (3/4 cup), chilled and chopped
- 12 tablespoons ice water
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/8 cup light-brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare a double batch of this 5-minute pie dough recipe: HOMEMADE PIE CRUST. Gather the dough together. Divide it into two balls. Put the dough in a zip-top bag and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling. Mix well using a spoon or spatula.
- Place the first ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper the size of your baking tray. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch. With a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Gather the scraps of dough together. Roll out and cut additional pieces. Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Using an actual measuring spoon, place a tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling in the middle of half of the circles. With a clean fingertip, rub a little bit of water around the edges of the dough. Place the remaining dough circles on top of the filled ones. Gently press the edges of the dough together with your fingertip. With a fork, crimp the edges all the way around.
- With a sharp knife, slice two small intersecting cuts on the surface of the pumpkin pasties. Lightly brush the tops with egg wash. Gently transfer the parchment paper with the hand pies to a baking tray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the mini pumpkin pies are a light-golden brown. Remove the hand pies from the oven and allow them to cool right on the tray.
- In a small bowl, use a spoon to mix together the ingredients for the vanilla glaze. Once the hand pies are just slightly warm, drizzle the glaze over the top. With a clean finger, spread the glaze evenly over the surface.
MAKE-AHEAD RECIPE: Cover tray of unbaked pumpkin hand pies with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to one day, or freeze in a single layer. Conveniently, these pies can be baked straight from the freezer! Just add a few minutes onto the original baking time.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Hand Pies, Mini Pumpkin Pies