These pumpkin pop tarts are adorable and delicious! They’re super simple to make. To keep several on hand, double the recipe and freeze half. Enjoy for breakfast, snack time or dessert.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Tiny pinch of salt, if needed
- 1 package (2 rolls) refrigerated pie dough OR homemade pie crust
- 1 large egg (+ splash of water)
- White sparkling sugar (coarse sugar crystals)
RECIPE PREP: Adjust oven rack to center position. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Do a taste test. If needed, add a teeny-tiny pinch of salt.
- Unroll the refrigerated pie dough on a lightly-floured board. Cut out as many pumpkin shapes as possible. Transfer 6 pumpkin cut-outs to a prepared baking tray.
- For small 4-inch pop tarts, place 1 tablespoon filling in the center of the pumpkins. For mini 2-inch pop tarts, use 1 1/2 teaspoons filling for each. Place pumpkin cut-outs on top. Crimp edges with a fork.
- Beat the large egg with a splash of water. With a pastry brush, brush egg wash over the surface of pumpkin pop tarts. Sprinkle white sparkling sugar over the tops.
- Bake the breakfast pastries for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the tops and sides are golden blonde. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
WANT FROSTED POP TARTS? It’s easy to do. Just whisk together: 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons milk or cream (in a pinch, use water), 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and a teeny-tiny pinch of salt. For thicker frosting add more sugar. To thin out the frosting add more milk.
HOW TO REWARM HOMEMADE TOASTER PASTRIES: On a mini baking tray in a toaster oven!
HOW LONG DO HOMEMADE POP TARTS LAST? Wrapped in plastic or in parchment paper, they can be kept on the countertop for 2 days. When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, they can last up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze up to 1 month.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Pop Tarts, Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts, Breakfast Pastries, Homemade Toaster Pastries