These moist, delicious fresh orange muffins are my last hurrah of summer! I’m a huge lover of sunshine, so saying goodbye to the gorgeous warmth-weather months is always hard for me. But enjoying scrumptious orange muffins is a sweet reminder that there are so many wonderful things that come along with the fall season. One of our family’s favorite holidays is Halloween. It’s so fun to decorate the house and bask in the festive feeling.
My California neighborhood is filled with citrus trees. Many of us have big backyards with an abundance of orange, lemon and grapefruit. Starting in October, our trees are bursting with gorgeous ripe fruit just ready for the picking. It’s during these months that I take advantage of our harvest by whipping up citrus recipes like these delightful fresh orange muffins adorned with a delicious orange glaze. As we pick fruit from our trees we enjoy sharing the bounty with family and friends. Many seasons we donate boxes of fruit to our city’s food bank.
It’s always greatly satisfying to make glorious baked goods from scratch. Making these fluffy orange muffins is super easy. This recipe takes only 25 minutes and yields 18 tasty treats. Begin by lining your muffin pans with cupcake liners. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the softened butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add in the orange juice, the zest of one orange and sour cream. Mix on a low setting until just combined. Half way through the mixing process scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
Add flour, baking powder, corn starch, salt, and the zest of the second orange to the bowl.
Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. This lovely yellow batter is so scrumptious! Just looking at in fills my heart with orange-flavored happiness.
Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin cups. Bake your beautiful orange muffins for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. I’ll usually prick two muffins in the center of the pan just to make sure they’re done. And when you open your oven a fabulous fragrant scent starts filling your kitchen. It’s so delightful! While the fresh orange muffins are baking, prepare the orange glaze by mixing together powdered sugar, cream cheese, orange juice, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
Frost your fresh orange muffins while they’re still warm. Right after each orange muffin is frosted, sprinkle a bit of orange zest over the top just like you’d sprinkle confetti. As vibrant orange zest falls onto the glaze you’ll admire the beauty of your newest creation. The next time you make a batch of these delicious orange muffins you may want to double the recipe. Save half for your family and share the rest with a friend or neighbor who could use a little surprise to brighten their day.
If you’re making these fresh orange muffins for a brunch or party, make sure to reserve one for yourself. Once you put these orange muffins out on the serving table they’ll disappear in a snap. You may notice that for some guests, two muffins are better than one! Orange muffins are perfect for Sunday brunch, parties, holidays, Mother’s Day and Father’s day. When carefully packed inside a bakery box and secured with twine they make wonderful gifts!
Take a peek at how fluffy, moist and delicious these orange muffins are.
Here’s an even closer look. Mmmm… Let me tell you – they taste just as good as they look! Who will you share a batch of fresh orange muffins with?
Recipe for Orange Muffins > Shop This Post
Below are helpful kitchen tools to create this recipe for orange muffins in a snap! Serve these special treats on beautiful white cake stand. My large cake stand came from Minted, but a very similar one can be ordered online through Amazon.
Yield 18 Muffins
INGREDIENTS - BATTER FOR ORANGE MUFFINS
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (16 tablespoons), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large oranges, zest only (finely grated)
INGREDIENTS - GLAZE FOR ORANGE MUFFINS
- 1 + 1/4 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large orange, zest only (finely grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with muffin liners. Only 18 liners are needed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the orange juice and sour cream. Mix briefly into blended. Add the flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt and the finely grated zest of two large oranges. Mix on medium/low speed until all ingredients are incorporated.
- With a cookie scoop, evenly divide the batter between the 18 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of two orange muffins comes out clean.
- While the orange muffins are baking, prepare the glaze. Mix together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, orange juice, vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
- Glaze the orange muffins while they're still warm. As you finish glazing each muffin, sprinkle the top with orange zest. Enjoy these yummy orange muffins immediately, or cover with a glass done and serve later.
Courses Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert, Party
?PIN IT TO PINTEREST
?Save this scrumptious ORANGE MUFFINS recipe for later!
❤️MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
?A quick easy recipe for LEMON CURD.
?A 10-minute recipe for picture-perfect LEMON YOGURT PARFAIT.
?Recipe for Orange Muffins > Your Thoughts
Do you have a favorite citrus fruit recipe? What do you think about these yummy, moist orange muffins? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!