Peach slab pie is the perfect dessert during hot summer months. When peaches are in season and start showing up at the market, I immediately start craving homemade peach slab pie. What’s really awesome is that making a peach pie from scratch won’t take all afternoon. I promise – this peach slab pie recipe is super simple and twice as easy. In one hour flat you can have a scrumptious peach slab pie just like mine.
If you can peel a few peaches and you have a small baking tray, you can make a delicious homemade peach slab pie. I make my pie crust from scratch using my food processor, but store-bought pie crusts are excellent too.
In addition to two pie crusts, these are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this peach pie recipe. For baking I prefer using yellow peaches over white peaches. Yellow peaches will provide your yummy peach slab pie with that classic peachy taste. Because they’re more acidic they deliver a fabulous crisp tart flavor. White peaches are sweet and have a more delicate taste that can be easily overwhelmed by spices. If using white peaches for this recipe, dial down the cinnamon to 1/2 teaspoon and use just a pinch of nutmeg.
Let’s begin with the peach pie filling. In a large mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Set the bowl aside. Peel and slice about 8 or 9 yellow peaches, enough for 7 cups. Once this is complete, you’re literally half way done to making a peach slab pie!
Add the sliced peaches, vanilla and lemon juice to your bowl. With a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the peaches until they are completely covered with the sugar/spice mixture.
Spread one pie crust over a small baking tray. The quarter-sheet pan I’m using here is 9 X 13 X 1 inches.
Spread the peaches over the pie crust in an even layer. This is when I start getting excited! The peaches look so beautiful and juicy, and everything is coming together quite nicely.
Cover the peaches with the second pie crust and cut a few slits across the pie dough for venting. Today I decided to get a bit fancy. I weaved a lattice using five long strips of pie dough and seven shorter strips. Instead of crimping my pie dough around the edges bakery-style, I just rolled the pie dough inward and left it at that. I think a peach slab pie from scratch looks best when you can tell it’s homemade. It’s those perfect imperfections that make it so beautiful! If the pie dough around the edges seems a bit too thick and bulky, simply pinch off portions and remove them until the crust is the thickness you prefer.
Brush melted butter over the top of the pie and sprinkle generously with granulated sugar. Your peach slab pie is now ready for the oven! Bake it at 400 degrees for about 35 to 40 minutes. If your pie crust starts getting too brown, tent the edges with foil. I tented mine during the last 10 minutes of baking.
This is my peach slab pie straight out of the oven. The crust is a lovely golden brown, not too dark. The peach filling is nice and bubbly and beautifully fragrant.
My kitchen is filled with that delicious, mouth-watering scent of homemade peach pie! Mmmm….
Allow your peach slab pie to cool off for about 15 minutes before serving.
For maximum enjoyment, add a rounded scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of a warm slice of peach pie. So darn delicious! Peach slab pie is the perfect dessert for a BBQ, potluck or picnic. I like to share mine with my husband and friends on a hot summer night.
How to Make Peach Slab Pie > Shop This Post
When it comes to making peach slab pie, I absolutely love my small baking trays. I recently bought two of them through Amazon. The lines at the bottom of the trays give them beautiful visual interest which is wonderful when serving peach slab pie at a gathering. They’re also non-stick which is super helpful for serving and cleaning.
Peach Slab Pie
Yield 8 slices
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 7 cups yellow peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon pure Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 uncooked pie crusts, homemade or store bought
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and sliced peaches to the mixing bowl. With a spatula, fold in the peaches until they are completely covered in the sugar/spice mixture.
- Line a baking tray with one pie crust. Spread the peaches over the pie crust in an even layer.
- Place the second pie crust on top of the peaches. Crimp or roll the edges of the dough. With a sharp knife, make a few slits on the top pie crust so steam can escape while baking.
- Brush the top of the pie with melted butter. Sprinkle generously with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. The pie crust should be golden brown, and the peach filling fragrant and bubbly. If needed, tent the pie crust with foil during the last 10-12 minutes of baking to prevent over browning.
- Allow the peach slab pie to cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Courses Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
This peach slab pie is ready to serve. Who wants the first piece?
? PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious Peach Slab Pie recipe for later!
❤️ MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
NO CHURN ICE CREAM
Peach Slab Pie Recipe > Share Your Thoughts
When I think of peach slab pie my mind wanders to thoughts of my grandmother whipping up magic in her large kitchen. Grandma Mercie would be wearing a time-worn apron. The delicious smells wafting out of her oven or rising from a pan on her stovetop were absolutely amazing. What images or memories come to mind when you think about making a peach slab pie for your family? Share your thoughts in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!