This scrumptious buttermilk pancake recipe will create the best buttermilk pancakes you’ve ever had. Freshly back from the Pinch of Yum photography workshop in Minneapolis, I’m so excited to share images of my favorite buttermilk pancakes with you along with instructions on how to make them in your own kitchen.
These are all the ingredients you’ll need to make the best buttermilk pancakes in town. Although you can use any pancake syrup, my favorite is Mrs. Butterworth’s Original Syrup. Its thick, rich, buttery taste is the perfect topping for your delicious stack of homemade pancakes. What’s your favorite pancake syrup?
If you’re wondering what makes these fluffy golden flapjacks the best buttermilk pancakes, it’s the divine taste of vanilla plus just a touch of lovely citrus flavor. It’s a perfect combination. So put away that box of pancake mix and pull out your apron. I’m here to show you how to make the best buttermilk pancakes from scratch!
I use a KitchenAid stand mixer with a flat beater to make the batter for my buttermilk pancakes, but you can use a hand mixer or whisk. All three of these handy kitchen tools will get the job done quickly and easily. Start by briefly mixing all of the dry ingredients together in one large bowl. Then add all the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix until everything is incorporated. Don’t over mix. It’s absolutely fine to have some lumps in your buttermilk pancake batter. That’s completely normal.
When making buttermilk pancakes for a crowd, such as a big family brunch or a pancake breakfast fundraiser, it’s helpful to use a pancake batter dispenser like the one above. Not only does it help make the process go quite a bit faster, you’ll also have beautiful buttermilk pancakes that are all about the same size.
To prevent some of my pancakes from being darker than others, between batches I just briefly pull my griddle away from the heat for about a minute or two. This gives the griddle a chance to cool down just a bit so that the second and third batches of buttermilk pancakes are about the same golden color as the first batch. So when I butter the griddle for my second and third batches of pancakes, and when I’m pouring the batter onto the griddle for them, my griddle is briefly off the hot burners and away from the flames.
When making pancakes for a large family brunch such as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day or another festive occasion, you can set out a variety of pancake toppings. Beautiful ideas include raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, homemade whipped cream, powdered sugar, butter, and one or two types of pancake syrup. Everyone can build their own delicious stack of buttermilk pancakes and garnish them however they’d like!
Today I made these fabulous buttermilk pancakes for my husband along with a batch of homemade whipped cream. He had his fork and plate in hand ready to go as soon as the pancakes came off the griddle. Munching down he wholeheartedly agreed that these are truly the best buttermilk pancakes he’s ever tasted.
How to Make the Best Buttermilk Pancakes > Shop This Post
I absolutely love my Circulon double burner grill. I have two! One here in my California kitchen and a second in my Mexico kitchen. Although I purchased mine at Macy’s, below is a similar hard anodized non-stick double griddle with awesome reviews that you can get from Amazon.
Best Buttermilk Pancakes
Yield 4 Servings
- 2 +1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk, either whole or 2% lowfat
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Butter for cooking and garnishing
- Pancake syrup
- Briefly mix or whisk dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients: eggs, melted butter that's been cooled down a bit so it's not hot to the touch, vanilla, lemon juice, milk and buttermilk. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Don't overmix! The pancake batter will still have some lumps - but that's okay.
- Heat a pancake griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease the griddle with butter.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, ladle the pancake batter onto the grill. Allow pancakes to cook about 1-2 minutes. You'll see small bubbles starting to form. Flip the pancakes over and continue to cook them for another 1-2 minutes until done.
- Briefly remove your griddle from the heat while you transfer the cooked buttermilk pancakes to a platter. Grease the griddle again and put it back over the heated burners. Repeat the process until all the buttermilk pancakes have been made.
- Garnish as desired. Serve hot.
Courses Breakfast, Brunch
Here’s another close-up view of these delicious pancakes. After your first bite you’ll definitely agree that these are the best buttermilk pancakes you’ve ever had.
📌 PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Mmmm…save the best buttermilk pancakes recipe for later!
❤️ More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
How to Make the Best Buttermilk Pancakes > Your Thoughts
Are you a pancake lover? What do think of this “Best Buttermilk Pancakes” recipe? Can you almost taste the homemade goodness? I’d love to hear your thoughts!