Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes | A Recipe to Make Dinner Better
This classic Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe is a perfect side dish for dinner, potlucks and backyard gatherings. It’s easy to prepare and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. I know you’ll love these scalloped potatoes as much as my family does!
There’s something very special about beautiful comfort food recipes that bring back wonderful memories of Grandma’s home cooking. There’s as much delight in the preparation of these nostalgic recipes as there is in serving it to your family and watching them enjoy it too. These Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are a walk down memory lane. Your kitchen will smell absolutely delightful when your scalloped potatoes are baking.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for items I think you’ll love! If you purchase through a link I may earn a small commission (your cost is not affected). It keeps this site up and allows me to deliver beautiful content.
This delicious scalloped potatoes recipe can be prepared ahead of time and then rewarmed later in the evening or the following day. You can make this recipe even more cheesy by adding an additional 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the scalloped potatoes before baking them in the oven.
Before pulling the baking dish of cooked scalloped potatoes out of the oven, be sure to taste test a few slices of potatoes from the middle of the baking dish to make sure that all of the potatoes are tender and cooked through. You can always hide your taste-test spot by sprinkling a little extra cheese over the area!
Scalloped Potatoes Recipe | Favorite Kitchen Tools
I love finding gorgeous kitchen tools that make time spent in the kitchen more fun and exciting! If you make homemade meals every day, you deserve to have lovely cookware that makes you smile. Don’t worry about having all of your cookware matching. Mix things up by collecting a few pieces that have beautiful, vibrant color.
Yields 8 Servings
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pounds Russet Potatoes or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 + 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 + 1/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Optional: Fresh thyme. Lightly sprinkle between layers + sprigs for garnishing.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and melt it over low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and combine well.
- Add heavy cream, salt, and pepper to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to simmer.
- Continue whisking until the sauce is lightly thickened.
- Position the oven rack so that it's in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish then set it aside.
- Peel the potatoes and thinly slice them.
- Arrange 1/3 of the potato slices in one neat layered row within the baking dish.
- Ladle sauce over the potato slices.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with Monterey Jack, cheddar cheese and bits of fresh thyme.
- Repeat the layering process two more times.
- Bake the Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes uncovered for 1 hour.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of thyme.
- Serve warm & enjoy!