Grilled Chicken With a Fabulous Citrus Marinade
Yesterday evening as I returned home from shopping, I was met with fragrant whiffs of neighborhood dinner activities. It evoked thoughts of my favorite Mexican grilled chicken made with a fabulous citrus marinade. It literally bursts with authentic summer flavors. It’s what inspired me to write this post to connect with you and share my delicious citrus marinade for chicken.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for items I think you’ll love! If you make a purchase I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you). It keeps this site up and allows me to deliver beautiful content.
Delicious Citrus Marinade | Grilled Chicken Marinade
If you’re familiar with the restaurant chain El Pollo Loco, this recipe channels the flavor of their scrumptious Mexican-style grilled chicken. El Pollo Loco marinates and grills their chicken with the skin on, but I prefer grilling boneless skinless chicken breasts. This grilled chicken marinade produces chicken that is super juicy and is the highlight of any backyard BBQ. Get ready to receive raving compliments from your family and friends!Savor the flavors of #summer: Mexican Grilled #Chicken Click To Tweet
In our household I prepare the delicious marinades and my husband performs the crucial grilling. He’s a real BBQ lover and enjoys manning the grill while drinking an ice cold Corona or a Margarita on the rocks. Whenever we plan on grilling we invite friends and family to come over and join us, including our 24-year-old daughter Ashley. It’s so convenient that Ashley purchased a home around the block from us. Our two 1/3 acre lots are vertically long and connect against our back fence. Happily, the gate between our properties is always left open.
Best Grilling Tips for Chicken | BBQ Chicken Tip #1
The thickness of your chicken makes a big difference when grilling juicy evenly-cooked chicken. Here’s how to make your chicken grill ready: Pound down skinless, boneless chicken breasts until they’re the same thickness overall – about 3/4 inch. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly on the grill which will result in juicier chicken. When chicken is not pounded down this is what you’ll experience: by the time the thick mid-section of the breasts are cooked through the rest of the chicken breast is dried out. However, be careful not to pound out the chicken too thinly or it may easily dry out on the grill.
Best Grilling Tips for Chicken | BBQ Chicken Tip #2
To achieve juicy chicken every time I recommend grilling the chicken over a medium-high fire (375-450 degrees). Don’t walk away from the BBQ when cooking boneless chicken breasts. Your chicken should take just a few minutes per side until it’s fully cooked. Baste your chicken with marinade, as needed. For food safety always use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. The chicken is perfectly cooked when it reaches 155-165F, the juices run clear, and there is absolutely no more pink.
Delicious Grilled Chicken Marinade | All About Grilling
Delicious Chicken Marinade | Recipe for Grilled Chicken Marinade
- 12 ounces orange juice or pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or mild chili peppers, finely minced
- 4 pounds of chicken (approximately 6-8 skinless, boneless breasts)
- Measure out all ingredients and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together to combine.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade for basting. Refrigerate.
- Rinse off chicken breasts under running water then pat dry with paper towels.
- In an even layer, add chicken to two ziplock bags and remove excess air.
- Pound down the center of the breasts with a meat pounder.
- Transfer all of the semi-flattened chicken over to one fresh ziplock bag.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Carefully close the ziplock while squeezing out excess air. Gently turn the ziplock from side to side to ensure chicken is well coated.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from fridge 30-45 minutes before grilling to bring it to room temperature.
- Drain off the marinade from the chicken and discard the used liquid.
- Grill the chicken over a medium-high fire (375-450 degrees). Flip the chicken while grilling and baste it with the reserved 1/4 cup marinade, as needed.
- Serve chicken hot off the grill!
The longer the chicken marinates, the stronger the citrus flavor will be!
Delicious Grilled Chicken Marinade | Share Your Thoughts!
Do you have a recipe for a delicious chicken marinade that you’d like to share? Do you have any grilling tips for cooking juicy chicken? I’d love to hear your thoughts and tips in the comment section below.