Sausage crescent roll breakfast casserole is a favorite make-ahead dish for potlucks, holidays and Sunday brunch. It features savory sausage, veggies, eggs and cheese over a buttery crescent-roll crust.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean pork sausage roll)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce roll) Pillsbury crescent dough sheet
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion, for garnishing
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baker.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage for 5 to 6 minutes or until there’s just a slight amount of pink. As the meat cooks, break it into crumbles with a wooden spatula. Drain off excess fat – this is important as we don’t want a greasy casserole. Return the pan to stovetop. Add in bell pepper, onion and garlic.
- Cook sausage and veggies for 2 to 4 minutes, until the meat is fully cooked and getting a bit crisp, and the veggies are tender. Remove the pan from heat. Add in the spinach. Stir to combine. Set the pan aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and salt and pepper until the mixture is light and frothy. Set it aside.
- Open the crescent sheet tube. Carefully unroll the dough. Arrange it inside the prepared baking dish, spreading it out so it fully covers the bottom of the baker. Seal any perforations. Sprinkle half the cheese cheese over the dough.
- Spoon the sausage mixture over the crescent dough and cheese. Spread it out into an even layer. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the surface.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center is fully set. If the surface becomes brown too soon, tent the dish with aluminum foil. To check for doneness, slip a knife into the middle. It should come out clean. Remove from oven. Let the casserole set for 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish with green onion before serving.
How to make a vegetarian casserole: Use a plant-based sausage, or swap out the sausage for 8 ounces of diced mushrooms. Use delicious veggies like spinach, onion, garlic, and a bevy of colorful bell peppers.
How to store the casserole: Once the casserole has cooled, tightly cover the top of the baker with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To store leftovers, slice the casserole into squares. Transfer the squares to a shallow airtight container or a kitchen zip-top bag with the air pressed out and refrigerate.
How to reheat make-ahead breakfast casserole: Preheat oven to 350°F. Let the refrigerated casserole sit out on the counter for 20 minutes to shed off the cold. Tent the baking dish with aluminum foil. Reheat for 20 minutes or until warmed through. To reheat leftover squares, rewarm in the oven or in a skillet on stovetop to keep the crust crisp. If rewarmed in the microwave the crust will become limp.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Breakfast Casserole, Sausage Breakfast Casserole, Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole, Sausage Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole