McDonald’s shamrock shake is cool, creamy, and refreshing. Our homemade version delivers that same green color, minty taste and fabulous mouthfeel. Make this St. Patrick’s Day drink for half the cost compared to McDonald’s.
Around February 20th, this iconic St. Patrick’s Day milkshake makes a special appearance on McDonald’s menu. This much-anticipated seasonal drink has delighted customers since the 1970’s. Traditionally, it stays on the menu until a week after St. Patrick’s Day.
If you’re a fan of this luscious green shake, there’s no need to panic when it disappears from the Micky D’s menu. With this super easy recipe, you can make one whenever you’d like in just 5 minutes with 4 basic ingredients.
Because making a shamrock shake from scratch won’t break the bank, it’s the ideal drink for springtime events and parties. Especially during the month of March. It’s a delicious way to celebrate the luck of the Irish! ☘️
INGREDIENT COMPARISON: Here’s a link to what’s in the green Micky D’s drink 👉🏻 McDonald’s Shamrock Shake. It’s not wholesome, old-fashioned, or basic like ours. It’s packed with a long list of fast-food ingredients we’d rather not think about. Compare it to our list of simple ingredients below.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: This is the base of our milkshake. I recommend classic vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream. But mint chip ice cream will also work. For the best flavor, be sure to select a good-quality brand.
- Whole Milk: Helps thin out the drink to the desired consistency. For a thicker shake, add less. For a thinner shake, add more.
- Peppermint Extract: The key ingredient for a mint-flavored shake.
- Green Gel Food Coloring: Delivers a classic green St. Patrick’s Day color. Achieve the ideal shade with AmeriColor Leaf Green.
- Whipped Cream: Adds to the thick luscious texture and creamy rich flavor. Homemade whipped cream always tastes best, but you can save time using store-bought aerosol whipped cream instead.
- Candy Sprinkles: Use green jimmies, special shamrock-shaped sprinkles, or edible gold stars.
- Chocolate Sauce: Is a traditional ice cream and milkshake topping.
- Maraschino Cherries: Adds a vibrant festive look.
how to make a shamrock shake
- STEP 1: In the container of a high-speed blender, add vanilla ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and green gel food coloring.
- STEP 2: Blend briefly until smooth – about 30 seconds. Divide the milkshake between 4 small glasses, or 2 large glasses. If desired, top each drink with a generous dollop of whipped cream, green candy sprinkles or edible gold stars, and a stemmed maraschino cherry.
🤔 RECIPE FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions for the BEST shamrock shakes and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
It has a fresh minty taste with a creamy mouthfeel. Some St. Patrick’s Day enthusiasts claim an additional flavor: sweet leprechaun tears with specks of gold.
Just swap the ice cream and milk for non-dairy options. As a substitute for vanilla ice cream try using full-fat (canned) coconut milk – freeze it in ice cube trays. For a dairy milk replacement, try almond milk or soy milk plus vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Use a natural green food coloring. Top the shake with coconut whipped cream.
Add 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips to the blender and process for about 10 seconds.
Add a shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream or Creme de Menthe.
This Irish holiday is celebrated on the same day every year – March 17.
The week after St. Patrick’s Day (on or about March 24) shamrock shakes are no longer on the menu. They return as a seasonal offering the following year – around February 20.
👩🏻🍳 MORE ST. PATRICK’S DAY EATS
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with these delicious comforting recipes. Each meal and dessert is easy to make, and brims with the luck of the Irish. Save your favorites for later. Pin them to Pinterest.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Guinness Corned Beef Sliders
- Guinness Shepherd’s Pie
- Irish Soda Bread
- Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Mint Brownies
- St. Patrick’s Day Jello Cups
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated this the best shamrock shake recipe. They said it tastes even better than the green milkshake served at McDonald’s. The luscious creamy texture, and the delicious minty flavor made it a winner with all.
If you agree this is a must-make recipe, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share the joy with friends. Post it to Facebook, or 📌 pin it to Pinterest.Print
- Total Time: 5 Minutes
- Yield: 2 (1.5 Cup) Servings 1x
This luscious shamrock shake is a copycat McDonald’s recipe. It’s rich and refreshing, with a creamy satisfying mouthfeel. The perfect green minty drink for St. Patrick’s Day.
- 1 pint (16 ounces) vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon green gel food coloring
- Whipped cream
- Green candy sprinkles
- Maraschino cherries
- Chocolate sauce
- In the container of a high-speed blender, add vanilla ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and green gel food coloring. Blend briefly until smooth – about 30 seconds.
- Divide the milkshake between 4 small glasses, or 2 large glasses. If desired, top each drink with a generous dollop of whipped cream, green candy sprinkles (or edible gold stars), and a stemmed maraschino cherry.
How to make a dairy-free shamrock shake: Swap the ice cream and milk for non-dairy options. As a substitute for vanilla ice cream try using full-fat (canned) coconut milk – freeze it in ice cube trays. For a dairy milk replacement, try almond milk or soy milk plus vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Use a natural green food coloring. Top the shake with coconut whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Shamrock Shake, McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, Shamrock Shake Recipe, Homemade Shamrock Shake
St. Patrick’s Day Milkshake 👉🏻 Your thoughts
What do you think of this green luxurious drink? What are your favorite toppings? Join the conversation below. I’d love to hear from you.