This moist sour cream coffee cake with streusel is reminiscent of the classic coffee cake recipe my mother would make when company came over. It’s a quick and simple dessert you can put together in a pinch! When baking this scrumptious sour cream coffee cake, a delicious aroma fills your kitchen. The sugar-and-cinnamon streusel makes this coffee cake undeniably delicious. But it’s the sour cream and butter that make this beauty moist.
Ingredients for Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
These are the ingredients you’ll need for this yummy coffee cake recipe with a sugar/cinnamon streusel: butter, granulated sugar, large eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, more butter, brown sugar and ground cinnamon.
How to Make Streusel for Coffee Cake
Our sour cream coffee cake has a delicious layer of streusel in the middle, and another layer of streusel on top. Here’s how to make yummy streusel from scratch: In a medium bowl, add softened butter, brown sugar and ground cinnamon. With clean hands cream the ingredients together until they’re well combined and you’ve created a nice crumbly streusel. Set the bowl aside.
How to Make Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Prepare a 9X13 casserole dish with butter and flour to prevent sticking. Adjust your oven rack to the middle position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the room-temperature butter and granulated sugar. With the flat beater attachment, beat the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream. Continue beating the mixture until well combined. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the stand mixer turned down to the lowest speed, slowly add in the flour mixture. Continue mixing until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
Best Coffee Cake Recipe
Pour half of the coffee cake batter into your casserole dish. Spread it out evenly within the dish. With your fingers, sprinkle 2/3 of the streusel mixture over the cake batter. Pour the rest of the cake batter on top of the streusel. Sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top of the coffee cake. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until done. If you insert a cake tester or toothpick into the middle of the coffee cake it should come out clean. Allow your coffee cake to cool down for about 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy with coffee, tea or milk!
Recommended Kitchen Tools for Making Sour Cream Coffee Cake
I love this collection of essential kitchen tools! My lovely KitchenAid stand mixer helps me save time in the kitchen. I also love my small collection of Emile Henry casserole dishes. The cute blue one below will be my next purchase. What do you think about these beautiful copper measuring cups and measuring spoons? All of these kitchen items are so useful when making this sour cream coffee cake recipe.
Sour cream makes cake super moist. The crumb topping is a classic addition.
INGREDIENTS FOR STREUSEL
- 1 + 1/2 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and cut into pieces
INGREDIENTS FOR COFFEE CAKE BATTER
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 + 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
DIRECTIONS FOR STREUSEL
In a medium mixing bowl, add the light-brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter. With clean hands, blend the ingredients together to form a crumbly mixture.
DIRECTIONS FOR SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X13 baking dish to prevent sticking.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and granulated sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream. Continue mixing until blended.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the stand mixer setting on low, slowly add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour half of the coffee cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Smooth out the batter so it’s in one even layer. With your fingers, sprinkle 2/3 of the streusel mixture on top of the cake batter. Pour the remainder of the cake batter on top of the streusel. Sprinkle the rest of the streusel on top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: sour cream coffee cake, crumb cake, sour cream coffee cake recipe
MOIST SOUR CREAM COFFE CAKE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious coffee cake recipe for later!
MORE DESSERT RECIPES TO LOVE
MOIST SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE RECIPE > YOUR THOUGHTS
Do you have a favorite coffee cake recipe? What do you think about this moist sour cream coffee cake? Who would you enjoy sharing a slice with? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!