Sour cream makes cake super moist. The crumb topping is a classic addition.
INGREDIENTS FOR STREUSEL
- 1 + 1/2 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and cut into pieces
INGREDIENTS FOR COFFEE CAKE BATTER
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 + 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
DIRECTIONS FOR STREUSEL
In a medium mixing bowl, add the light-brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter. With clean hands, blend the ingredients together to form a crumbly mixture.
DIRECTIONS FOR SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9X13 baking dish to prevent sticking.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and granulated sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla extract and sour cream. Continue mixing until blended.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the stand mixer setting on low, slowly add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour half of the coffee cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Smooth out the batter so it’s in one even layer. With your fingers, sprinkle 2/3 of the streusel mixture on top of the cake batter. Pour the remainder of the cake batter on top of the streusel. Sprinkle the rest of the streusel on top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Dessert, Party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sour cream coffee cake, crumb cake, sour cream coffee cake recipe