Spicy grilled lime shrimp is the perfect recipe for backyard BBQs or indoor grilling! Our Mexican-inspired shrimp marinade is the secret to this flavorful recipe. This easy appetizer brings people together to share good times.
ABOUT GRILLED SHRIMP
This grilled shrimp recipe is packed with authentic-Mexican flavor that delivers a gentle yet firm kick of heat! These are the ingredients for a delicious shrimp marinade:
- Can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- Virgin olive oil
- Freshly-squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Brown sugar
GRILLED SHRIMP RECIPE
For grilled shrimp skewers, purchase one pound of fresh uncooked shrimp. To make things easy, buy medium-sized shrimp that are already shelled and deveined. It’s important to note that shrimp will go bad if not immediately refrigerated after purchase. For food safety, never refreeze shrimp that’s been previously frozen.
CILANTRO LIME SHRIMP
This is the easy recipe for grilled shrimp kabobs:
- STEP 1: Prepare the shrimp marinade (see recipe card for instructions.)
- STEP 2: Rinse off the shrimp in cold running water. Gently pat them dry between paper towels. Place them into a zippered plastic bag. Pour the shrimp marinade on top. Gently massage the plastic bag to evenly distribute the marinade.
- STEP 3: Allow the shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
HOW TO SKEWER SHRIMP
Follow these expert grilling tips for perfect grilled shrimp skewers!
- SOAK WOODEN SKEWERS: Soak the wooden skewers for 20-30 minutes. This is the same amount of time your shrimp is marinating in the refrigerator. Allowing the skewers enough time to absorb water before use will help prevent them from scorching and falling apart on the grill.
- SKEWER SHRIMP KABOBS: After the soaking period, skewer medium-size shrimp by piercing the thick part of the shrimp close to the tail. Run the skewer through the shrimp a second time at the wide area toward the top. Double skewering will prevent your seafood from easily rotating around the skewer or falling off the stick while grilling. When skewering jumbo shrimp, it’s best to use two skewers instead of one. You can thread 4-5 jumbo shrimp on a set of two skewers.
- TIPS FOR CRISPY OR CHARRED SHRIMP: If you want juicer shrimp, skewer the pieces closer together. For crispy or charred grilled shrimp, leave a small space on the skewer between each piece. Your shrimp kabobs are now ready to hit the grill!
HOW TO GRILL SHRIMP
Wondering how long to grill shrimp? Here are some expert grilling tips!
- STEP 1: Heat up your grill over medium to medium-high heat.
- STEP 2: Brush some oil over the grill to prevent sticking.
- STEP 3: Lay your skewers over the grill and cook for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side. Take care not to overcook your shrimp or the texture will become rubbery.
HOW LONG TO GRILL SHRIMP How do you know if shrimp is cooked? Take a sharp knife and slice through the thickest part of the grilled shrimp. Cooked shrimp should be solid white inside.
AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE
You can make this delicious dipping sauce in no time flat!
- STEP 1: In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, pressed garlic, white onion, and salt and pepper.
- STEP 2: For a creamier consistency, briefly process the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- STEP 3: Transfer the dipping sauce to a small serving bowl. For individual-size servings, spoon it into several small dipping cups.
GRILLED SHRIMP KABOBS
[This post has been updated. It was originally sponsored by Sutter Home on July 14, 2018.]
Now that the weather’s heating up, head outdoors to relax and unwind. Easy appetizers like grilled shrimp skewers make everyday occasions a little more special. For adults 21+, Sutter Home Wine is the perfect addition to any party or festive gathering.
GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS
For authentic Mexican flare, serve grilled shrimp skewers with juicy wedges of lime and creamy avocado dipping sauce.
SPICY GRILLED LIME SHRIMP
Add more festive color to your grilled shrimp with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro. Along with this dish, consider grilling up a variety of colorful chili peppers, bell peppers, corn or other healthy veggies!
These spicy grilled shrimp skewers are perfect for the grilling season. Served with juicy slices of lime and a dipping sauce, this grilled shrimp recipe doubles as both an appetizer or main course! If you’ve been craving shrimp tacos, this is the recipe to use!
- 1 pound fresh shrimp (medium/large), peeled and deveined
- 2–3 whole chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (with seeds), from a 7-ounce can
- 2 tablespoons adobe sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 3 + 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 small avocados, skin and pits removed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
GRILLED SHRIMP RECIPE
- Dice the chipotle peppers and add them to a small bowl. Measure out the adobe sauce and olive oil and add those to the bowl as well. Squeeze the lime juice and press the garlic. Add those ingredients to the bowl along with the chopped cilantro, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Place the shrimp into a zip-top kitchen bag. Pour the marinade over the shrimp. Zip the bag and gently massage it to distribute the spicy marinade. Every piece of shrimp should be fully coated with the marinade. Refrigerate the shrimp for 20-30 minutes so it can marinate.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 20-30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Skewer the shrimp. If you desire juicy shrimp, skewer the shrimp so that the pieces are touching. If you prefer charred or slightly crispy shrimp, leave some space between the pieces.
- Heat up your grill over medium or medium-high heat. Brush a bit of oil over the surface of the grill to prevent sticking. Lay the shrimp skewers over the grill. Cook for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes and then flip them over. Cook another 2 to 2-1/2 minutes then remove them from the grill. Check for doneness by slicing a piece through the thickest section. When fully cooked, the inside should be solid white. Take care to not overcook your shrimp or they will develop a rubbery texture.
- Garnish with more chopped cilantro. Serve with creamy avocado dipping sauce and wedges of lime.
DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Party
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: shrimp skewers, grilled shrimp, shrimp marinade, avocado dipping sauce, grilled shrimp recipe, grilled shrimp skewers
GRILLED SHRIMP RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this yummy recipe for grilled shrimp skewers. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
Are you looking for easy appetizers for your upcoming party? These yummy recipes are real crowd pleasers!
- WONTON TACO CUPS
- AUTHENTIC MEXICAN GUACAMOLE
- BAKED CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- TORTELLINI PARTY SNACKS
- Cooking with Karli: CREAMY SALSA CHICKEN DIP
GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy finding new recipes for easy appetizers? What do you think about this spicy grilled shrimp recipe? Join the conversation in the comments below!