This Spiderweb Chocolate Bark features 2 layers of chocolate (dark and white) covered in a chocolaty cobweb with candy spiders. Make this creepy Halloween bark in 20 minutes. It’s perfect for parties!
IMPORTANT: For best results, use high-quality chocolate chips. They’ll deliver that firm chocolate bark “snap” we all love. Recommended brands: Guittard or Ghirardelli.
- 1 (11.5 or 12 oz) package dark chocolate chips
- 1 (11.5 or 12 oz) package milk chocolate chips
- 2 (11 or 12 oz) packages white chocolate chips, not bars
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Drops (8 individual candies)
- Whoppers malt balls (4 individual candies, halved)
- Tube of black decorating gel
NOTES: For reference, one 12-ounce bag of chocolate chips yields 2 cups. Find a tube of black decorating gel in the baking aisle of the grocery store. Look for it in the cake decorating section. Other options: tube of black writing icing, or black royal icing.
CREATE 2 CHOCOLATE LAYERS
IMPORTANT TIP: When melting chocolate, the bowl and all kitchen tools used must be completely free from water droplets. Everything must be bone dry to prevent the chocolate from seizing and developing a grainy texture. Just one drop of water can ruin the whole batch of chocolate.
RECIPE PREP: Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches of overhang on the 2 long sides.
- Reserve 1 cup dark chocolate chips. Set them aside. Add remaining dark and milk chocolate chips to a heat-safe bowl. Microwave on medium power (50%) in 30-second bursts. Stir well after each session. Monitor the process closely. Continue until smooth and melted.
- Add reserved 1 cup dark chocolate chips to the bowl. Stir until added chocolate is smooth and melted. Do not return the bowl to the microwave. Be patient. Let the residual heat melt the chips. This is the professional method for tempering chocolate. When done correctly, chocolate will look glossy rather than dull, and will snap when cooled.
- Pour melted chocolate into prepared pan. With a spatula, spread it into a smooth even layer. Let it sit at room temperature while you prep the white chocolate. DO NOT refrigerate. If the dark chocolate layer is hardened and cold, the white chocolate layer will not bond to it.
- Reserve 1 cup white chocolate chips. Place remaining white chips in a heat-safe bowl. Repeat process for melting in the microwave. Pour white melted chocolate over dark chocolate layer. Smooth it into a layer with the back of a spoon. Gently tap pan on counter to level out the layers.
CREATE COBWEB AND SPIDERS
NOTE: There’s no right or wrong way to pipe on the cobweb or create the spiders. The number of spiders in the web is up to you. Each spooky creation is very unique.
- Chop bar of semi-sweet chocolate into very small pieces. Transfer chocolate to a bone-dry, heat-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 15-second bursts, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Let melted chocolate sit 5 minutes at room temperature. Transfer to a small zip-top bag with a tiny piece of the corner snipped off, or to a decorating bag fitted with a No. 3 round piping tip.
- Use parchment paper “sling” to lift slab of chocolate from the pan. Transfer it to a wooden board.
- Pipe cobwebs over chocolate slab. Use chocolate drops for bodies, and malt ball halves (cut side down) for heads. Attach pieces with leftover melted chocolate from the spiderweb. With the tube of black decorating gel, pipe the spiders’ eyes and legs.
HOW TO SLICE AND SERVE HALLOWEEN BARK: Transfer slab to the fridge until it’s time for slicing. To slice, use a long serrated knife and a firm back-and-forth rocking motion. Serve on a tray with additional pieces of candy.
MORE CANDY IDEAS FOR MAKING SPIDERS: Use large and small chocolate malt balls. Or pair large and small black gumdrops, or regular and mini M&Ms (in red, orange and brown). For legs, try black string licorice cut into pieces.
HOW TO STORE CHOCOLATE BARK: Store the slab or pieces in an airtight container. If stored at room temperature, it can last 4 to 5 days on the countertop. Stored in the fridge it’ll last up to 3 weeks.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spiderweb Chocolate Bark, Halloween Bark, Chocolate Bark