Beautiful spiderweb Halloween cupcakes are the perfect treat for your upcoming Halloween party!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 +3/4 all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa (natural, unsweetened)
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (use the clear type)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 + 1/2 sticks butter, cold (2.25 cups)
- 7 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 +1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 two-ounce container of cotton candy
- Adjust oven rack to the center. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin pans with 27 cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder, and salt. Add in the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. With an electric mixer beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water.
- Fill the cupcake liners with batter using a 1/4 measuring cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes within the pans. Remove to wire racks. Cool completely before frosting.
- Chop the cold butter into tiny pieces. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 6-7 minutes until it’s light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl, as needed.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Beat for one minute.
- Add in 2 more cups of powdered sugar. Beat on low speed until sugar is well incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high. Beat the frosting for 3 minutes.
- Add the final cup of powdered sugar and the heavy whipping cream. Beat on low speed, gradually increasing the speed to medium-high. Beat for 4-5 minutes so the frosting is light and airy.
SPIDERWEB HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES
- With a decorating scriber needle or toothpick, lift and separate spun candy into thin airy pieces.
- Artfully arrange the cotton candy on top of the vanilla frosting.
- Add candy spiders to the “spiderwebs” on top of each cupcake.*
- If using plastic spiders, be sure to remove before serving!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Halloween Cupcakes, dessert, kid-friendly