These sizzling steak fajitas are tender, juicy and super flavorful! Served with grilled bell pepper and onion, it’s a fresh healthy meal your family will enjoy. Add this easy steak fajita recipe to your meal plan rotation.
STEAK FAJITA MARINADE
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
BEEF FAJITAS AND VEGGIES
- 2 pounds flank steak or skirt steak
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin half rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced
- 3 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil, divided
- 24 small corn tortillas or 16 flour tortillas
- Guacamole or avocado slices
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Sour cream or Mexican crema
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Cotija cheese
- Wedges of lime
ASSEMBLE STEAK FAJITA MARINADE
- Add Mazola Corn Oil, lime juice, cilantro leaves, and spices to a medium bowl. Whisk or stir to combine.
- Place the flank steak in a large mixing bowl. Pour the steak fajita marinade on top of the meat. Turn the meat over in the bowl to make sure all sides are fully covered in marinade. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
HOW TO GRILL STEAK FAJITAS
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 200ºF
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil to a cast-iron skillet or heavy pan over medium-high heat.
- Remove the steak from the fajita marinade. Pat the meat dry between paper towels. Sprinkle the meat with coarse sea salt and cracked pepper. Add the steak to the skillet. Sear each side for 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the beef.
- Transfer seared meat to a cutting board. Allow the beef to relax for 8-10 minutes. This gives the juices on the surface time to re-penetrate the meat and travel to the center. This is the secret to juicy succulent steak! Slice the beef against the grain into thin slices. If the meat is too pink, return the steak slices to the skillet. Briefly grill until meat is medium or well-done.
- Place meat in an oven-safe dish. Cover with foil. Keep fajitas warm in the oven.
HOW TO GRILL VEGETABLES FOR FAJITAS
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil to the cast-iron skillet. When it shimmers, add the garlic and onions. Grill until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the bell peppers to the skillet with the onions. Toss and grill until the bell peppers are tender but still firm. The edges of the onions should be lightly golden.
Pull steak fajitas out of the oven. Return meat to the skillet along with the grilled veggies. Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas, and your choice of tasty toppings!
- HOW TO MAKE FAJITAS SIZZLE? Place individual cast-iron serving dishes in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes. Remove the dishes with oven mitts and place then on wooden bases. Immediately transfer grilled fajitas to the plates. Enjoy the beautiful sounds of sizzling steak fajitas! Always be cautious when serving meals in hot cast-iron trays.
- HOW TO MAKE MEAT TENDER NOT CHEWY? Salt helps to tenderize meat. Sprinkle a bit of coarse salt across the surface of the beef just before searing. Let the meat rest for 8-10 minutes to allow the juices to return to the center. Slice the meat thinly against the grain to break down the fibers.
- CAN FAJITAS BE MADE IN ADVANCE? The process can be started in advance. The meat can marinade for up to 8 hours before hitting the grill. The same day the fajitas will be served, the meat can be seared and sliced ahead of time but not grilled. Refrigerate in a zip-top bag. When the steak is re-heated it can be grilled to desired doneness. Slice the veggies ahead of time and refrigerate in sealed containers. Grill just before serving.
- WHY USE A CAST-IRON SKILLET FOR GRILLING? Cast-iron is an excellent conductor of heat with even distribution. Meat and veggies grill up beautifully in a cast-iron skillet.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Steak Fajitas, Steak Fajita Recipe, Beef Fajitas, Steak Fajita Marinade