Refreshing strawberry lemonade is a cool summer drink! Fruity and sweet, it’s drink shop specialty that’s easy to make at home. Assemble these tasty beverages in 20 minutes.
- 1/2 cup water, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 10 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Ice cubes
- Lemon slices
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
Thyme-infused Simple Syrup
- Add sugar and 1/2 cup water to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add sprigs of thyme, then cover the pan with a lid. Allow the herbs to steep in the syrup for 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the strawberry sauce.
- Add strawberries, water and lemon zest to a small saucepan. Cook the strawberry mixture over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, just until the fruit starts to break down and releases their juices. Remove pan from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the berries until smooth. If you don’t have this kitchen tool, carefully pour the berry mixture into a food processor or a high-speed blender. To remove the strawberry seeds (optional), strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve. Set the sauce aside until ready to use.
Prepare the Drink for Serving
- After the simple syrup has cooled, remove the sprigs of thyme. Over a large pitcher, pour the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer to remove any loose leaves that may have fallen off the stems. Add 4 cups cold water and lemon juice to the pitcher with the syrup. With a long spoon, stir well to combine.
- TO SERVE: Place 1 to 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce in the bottom of a glass. Fill the glass with ice. Pour lemonade into the glass. If desired, garnish with fresh strawberries, slices of lemon and/or a sprig of thyme.
AMOUNT OF JUICE IN 1 LEMON: The juiciness of each lemon will vary. But 1 medium lemon will yield about 2 tablespoons juice. For 1 cup lemon juice, have (at least) 8 lemons on hand so over-squeezing for juice will not be needed. Over-squeezing will result in lemon oil from the skins being expressed, which is not what we want. Lemon oil has a harsh bitter taste.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Blended Strawberry Lemonade