This tasty taco seasoning recipe is perfect for one pound of taco meat. It replaces one packet of taco seasoning mix. Assemble this DIY spice blend in 5 minutes with common pantry ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly-ground
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Pull out all spices needed. If you normally use grocery-store seasoning blends for tacos, they often have sugar. If you’d like a similar taste, I highly recommend adding this ingredient!
- Line up spice containers in a row on the left-hand side of your work surface. With measuring spoons, measure out quantities of each spice. Add ingredients to a spice jar or ramekin. After a spice has been used, transfer the container to the right side of your work space.
- After all spices have been added to the jar, close it and shake well, or mix with a spoon. You’re ready to flavor 1 pound of taco meat!
- HOW MUCH TACO SEASONING IN A PACKET? Grocery-store packets contain between 2-3 tablespoons of spice mix. This recipe replaces one packet of prepared taco seasoning for 1 pound of taco meat.
- HOW TO USE TACO SEASONING FOR GROUND BEEF: Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to a small pot or pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup diced onion. Sauté onion for 20 seconds. Add lean ground beef. Break meat apart with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks. There should be no pink. If needed, drain off excess fat. Add taco seasoning to the beef. Mix until incorporated. If more moisture is needed, add a drizzling of olive oil.
- HOW TO MAKE TACO MEAT SAUCIER: Drain the fat off 1 pound cooked ground beef. Add taco spices, 1 tablespoon corn starch, and 3/4 cup water or beef broth to the meat. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.
- HOW TO MAKE TACO MEAT MORE SAVORY: While cooking the ground beef, add in 1 teaspoon beef or chicken bouillon paste. This will up the flavor profile of your meat!
- LOOKING FOR AN AUTHENTIC MEXICAN TOUCH? Add a pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder to this DIY Taco seasoning.
- HOW MANY GROUND BEEF TACOS FOR 1 POUND OF MEAT? One pound of meat is enough to make 8 tacos. But you can stretch it 10 tacos by adding an array of delicious toppings: shredded iceberg lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, diced avocado, and sour cream.
- MORE USES FOR TACO SPICES: This spice mix is very versatile! Sprinkle it on salads. Add this tasty blend to tortilla soup, Mexican rice, and black-bean recipes. Use the mix as a delicious rub for shrimp, chicken or steak! Add a few teaspoons of the seasoning to melted butter. Drizzle the warm mixture over popcorn.
- HOW TO STORE DRY SPICES: Place the dry mixture in a clean spice jar or small container that has a good seal. Label the jar including the date. Store the mix in a cool dry space. For short-term use, a small zip-top bag will work well.
- HOW LONG WILL DIY TACO SEASONING STAY FRESH? This depends on the expiration date of the individual spices used. But in general, when stored correctly the flavor quality should last for up to 6 months, with peak potency between 2-3 months.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: DIY Seasoning Mix
- Method: Mixing Bowl
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Taco Seasoning, Homemade Taco Seasoning