This delicious breakfast casserole is very easy to make! It’s a hearty dish that’s perfect for feeding a hungry family, or sharing with friends at brunch. Made with all of your favorite breakfast ingredients, don’t be surprised if everyone wants a second serving!
- 1 7-ounce package sausage links
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 + 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a large rectangular casserole dish or two square bakers.
- Slide the sausage links out of their casings and into a large skillet. With a wooden spatula, roughly chopping the links into pieces while cooking. They’re done when the meat is no longer pink. Lift the cooked pieces out of the pan with a slotted spoon. Transfer them to an extra-large mixing bowl. Reserve the drippings.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pan and cook until tender. Transfer the veggies to the mixing bowl. Add in the cheese and mix with a spatula until combined. Add in the tater tots.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Pour the wet mixture over the tater tots, cheese and veggies. Fold everything together until well incorporated. With a spatula, transfer the breakfast casserole mixture into your greased baker(s).
- Bake for approximately 55-65 minutes, or until the egg mixture is completely set and the top is golden. Remove from the oven and allow it cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle crispy bacon pieces and sliced green onions over the top of your tater tot casserole. Serve while toasty warm. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tater tot casserole, make-ahead breakfast casserole, tater tot breakfast casserole