Tequila lime wings are crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside. Coated with a spicy tequila rub, they’re served with a cool and refreshing tequila-lime dipping sauce. A great appetizer or meal.
Tequila Lime Wings
- 1 pound chicken wings
- Baking powder – optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons blanco tequila
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Tequila-Lime Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (plus additional limes for serving)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon blanco tequila
Tequila Lime Wings – Air Fryer Method
RECIPE PREP: Preheat your air fryer using the preheat function or by heating it at 400ºF for 5 minutes. Pat the chicken wings dry between lint-free paper towels. [For extra-crispy wings see “notes.”]
- Make the spice rub paste. In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, tequila, lime zest, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Add chicken wings to the bowl. Toss and massage to evenly coat.
- With tongs, arrange the wings in a single layer inside the air fryer basket. Space them out. Leave enough room around each piece so hot air can properly circulate around them and make all sides crispy. If needed, cook the wings in batches.
- Air fry for 15 minutes, then flip the wings over. Cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 165ºF on a kitchen thermometer and the desired crispness is reached.
- Transfer the cooked tequila lime wings to a serving tray. Garnish with a scattering of cilantro to add freshness and color. Serve immediately with tequila-lime dipping sauce and juicy wedges of lime.
Tequila Lime Wings – Oven Method
RECIPE PREP: Adjust 1 oven rack to the center position and 1 rack to the top position. Line a rimmed baking tray with foil. Place a metal rack over the tray. Spray it with cooking spray.
- Pat wings dry with paper towels. In a bowl, toss wings with 1 teaspoon baking powder (NOT baking soda). Arrange wings on the metal rack in a single layer – skin side up. Refrigerate 30 minutes to a few hours uncovered to dry out the skins.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, combine ingredients for the spice mix. Toss wings in the mix. Massage to evenly coat. Return wings to the metal rack over the baking tray – skin side up. The pieces can be close together. They’ll shrink as they cook.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside – flip them over and rotate the tray halfway through cooking. The wings should reach an internal temperature of 165ºF. For crispier wings, broil for 1 minute on each side.
Tequila-Lime Dipping Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl. Stir briefly to combine.
- If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate.
If you don’t have all the spices on hand: Substitute with 1 tablespoon store-bought taco seasoning or chili-lime seasoning.
How to make extra-crispy wings: By drying out the skin. Toss the wings in 1 teaspoon baking powder (NOT baking soda). Line a rimmed baking tray with foil. Arrange wings on a metal rack over the lined tray – in a single layer. Let the chicken sit in the fridge uncovered for 30 minutes to 4 hours, or even overnight.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
Keywords: Tequila Lime Wings, Tequila Lime Chicken Wings, Tequila Lime Wings Recipe, Zesty Wings