This colorful, healthy tuna salad recipe is fresh new spin on an old classic! Enjoy this versatile mixture as a sandwich, lettuce wrap, or as an appetizer with crackers. Make this easy recipe in less than 15 minutes.
- 2 5.4-ounce cans albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or reduced fat mayo)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, or more if desired
- 2–1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange or yellow bell pepper (or a combo of the two)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, gently chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup kosher dill pickles, chopped
- Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, packed (+ more for garnishing)
- Transfer drained tuna to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to flake the pieces apart.
- Add chopped veggies to the bowl. Mix briefly.
- Add apple cider vinegar, mayo and mustard. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in a handful of shaved Parmesan cheese.
EXPERT TIPS FOR TUNA SALAD
- HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD HEALTHY: Rather than using full-fat mayonnaise, try low-fat mayo or plain yogurt.
- TUNA SALAD WITHOUT MAYO: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, Maggi seasoning sauce, and Dijon mustard. Pour the dressing over the flaked tuna and mix well. Add your favorite diced veggies.
- HOW LONG WILL TUNA SALAD STAY FRESH? When refrigerated, the mixture will stay fresh for 3-5 days: store it in a zip-top bag or an air-tight container.
- CAN I FREEZE TUNA SALAD? This is not recommended. It does not freeze well!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tuna salad, healthy tuna salad, tuna salad sandwich