These vanilla creme sandwich cookies are so delicious! This bakery-style dessert features a delicious creme filling sandwiched between light and buttery vanilla wafers. They’re homemade Golden Oreos.
VANILLA WAFER COOKIES
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
VANILLA CREME FILLING
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt, if needed
MAKE VANILLA WAFER COOKIES
RECIPE PREP: Line 3 baking trays with parchment paper or reusable silicone baking mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream softened butter and sugar together. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Mix 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, lemon juice and salt. Mix well. Add flour in 2 parts, mixing after each addition. Scrape down bottom and sides of the bowl. Add cornstarch. Continue mixing until the dough moves away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be beautifully supple.
- Transfer dough to a work surface. With a rolling pin, roll out dough until just under 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 28 wafer cookies with a round (2-inch) fluted-edge biscuit cutter. If the dough sticks to the board, lightly sprinkle the dough with powdered sugar and briefly knead it in. Or lightly dust the board with flour. Transfer cookies to a prepared baking tray. Stamp the tops with 2 to 4 lines using the biscuit cutter handle or the tines of a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put a tray of cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and bake 14 minutes, or until the sides of the cookies have set. The bottoms should still be pale with a few areas that are golden blonde. Let cookies cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. As a tray of cookies enters the oven, slide the next tray of cookies into the freezer to chill.
MAKE VANILLA CREME FILLING
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix to incorporate.
- Do a taste test. If mixture is too sweet, add a tiny pinch of salt.
- Continue mixing until filling is smooth with no lumps.
ASSEMBLE SANDWICH COOKIES
Once vanilla wafers are completely cooled, assemble the sandwich cookies.
- Add 1 tablespoon filling to the center of 14 wafer cookies.
- With 2 fingertips, slightly flatten the filling into a disk.
- Top with remaining wafer cookies.
- With your fingertips, gently apply even pressure to the top of the cookie until the frosting has evenly spread to the edges.
CAN I USE UNSALTED BUTTER FOR THIS RECIPE? Yes. For the cookie dough, add an extra 1/8 teaspoon salt to the recipe. For the creme filling, add salt to taste.
CAN WAFER COOKIE DOUGH BE MADE IN ADVANCE? Yes it can! Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap. Slip it into a zip-top kitchen bag. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
CAN VANILLA CREME FILLING BE MADE IN ADVANCE? Yes it can! Transfer the frosting to an air-tight container, or spoon it into a piping bag and seal the end with a rubber band. Store it in the fridge away from foods with odors. It can stay fresh for up to 3 weeks.
HOW LONG WILL COOKIES STAY FRESH? When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, they’ll stay fresh on the countertop for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 35 Minutes (includes chilling time)
- Cook Time: 14 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sandwich Cookies, Vanilla Creme Sandwich Cookies, Vanilla Creme Cookies, Homemade Golden Oreos