Make this frozen watermelon drink with 4 ingredients plus water. It’s icy, cool and refreshing! Watermelon slushie is the ideal beverage for 4th of July and hot-weather days all summer long.
- 12 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and frozen*
- Juice of 3 limes
- 4 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (blue agave syrup)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, lightly packed
- 6 cups purified water, or more if needed
*NOTE: The amount of watermelon needed is approximately half of a 15-pound watermelon. I suggest cubing up the whole watermelon. Save the rest to make this recipe a second time.
RECIPE PREP THE DAY BEFORE: Slice off watermelon rind and the thin layer of white flesh. Discard. Cube the watermelon into very small pieces. Divide them between 3 zip-top freezer bags, arranging cubes in a single layer. Freeze overnight.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON SLUSHIE
- Separate the frozen watermelon pieces (snap them apart) so there aren’t large chunks sticking together.
- In order to fit the ingredients in an average size blender, we’ll need to prep this recipe in thirds. So for each batch, add 1/3 of each ingredient to the blender jar: frozen watermelon cubes, lime juice, agave nectar, and mint leaves. Pour in enough water so you’re not over-working the machine to blend the ingredients. Attach the lid. Make sure it’s firmly secured.
- Pulse the blender. Use the tamper. When the frozen watermelon cubes begin to break up, blend until the mixture reaches a slushie consistency. If the mixture is too thick add more water.
- Divide watermelon slushie between tall glasses. Garnish each glass with a small slice of watermelon, a slice of lime, and a few sprigs of fresh mint. For a nice serving presentation, transfer remaining drink to a beverage pitcher.
KITCHEN SMARTS: When measuring cut pieces of fruit, leave your measuring cups in the drawer. Instead, use a large (8-cup) batter bowl that has cup measurements listed along the sides.
MELTED WATERMELON SLUSHIE: When this beverage melts, it automatically becomes the base for watermelon limeade. Pour the slushie through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard the solids. Squeeze in more lime juice, if desired, and refrigerate. When ready to serve, fill tall glasses 2/3 full with ice. Add sparkling water to the drink mixture. Pour watermelon limeade over ice.
KID-FRIENDLY IDEA FOR MELTED SLUSHIE: Make watermelon ice pops! Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze until solid, about 12 hours.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Watermelon Slushie, Frozen Watermelon Drink